Camshaft with heads

-

Daniel Dugas

Reaction score
Hey guys question. So I’m thinking about running j heads on my 360 bracket motor. I was going to get a mild port done on them. I have adjustable 1.5 rockers from PRW. But I have also ordered a comp .540 .540 lift cam. Do you guys think this cam will work with the j heads? Thanks in advance

Hey guys question. So I’m thinking about running j heads on my 360 bracket motor. I was going to get a mild port done on them. I have adjustable 1.5 rockers from PRW. But I have also ordered a comp .540 .540 lift cam. Do you guys think this cam will work with the j heads? Thanks in advance
Yup.

The 575/615 solid flat I was running with ported 2.02 J heads and same rockers did pretty well. Make sure to machine the valve guide tops down enough to allow for the added lift, and spring pocket diameter for whatever springs you plan to run.

The 575/615 solid flat I was running with ported 2.02 J heads and same rockers did pretty well. Make sure to machine the valve guide tops down enough to allow for the added lift, and spring pocket diameter for whatever springs you plan to run.
Did you race it? If so what times we’re you running with it?

Every flow test I’ve looked at for a cast j head starts to drop off some where around that .500 .550 area. There only machined for a .500 lift with factory length valves. With some porting and machining the vale guides and the right set of springs that cam should work well, getting everything out of the heads

That would be right where I am looking to run!!
Forgot to mention, +.100 Chevy valves and I really liked the beehive springs, comp 26995.

The rest of the setup is what gets it there, and makes it consistent. Compression, tuning, converter, suspension, tires, maintenance, etc. Lots of info on here and other forums, lots o reading!!!

As long as you have clearances the springs for that lift…..
Have the cylinder head flow tested. This way you’ll know where the head falls off in terms of flow and therefore power making abilities.

It’s really not the head itself, because it can be modified, but what the ports can do for you in there as cast or ported state.
Know what they flow in there as fast state if possible so you can see the before and after effects on the flow sheets and see the curve improvements.

Doing this before the cam was ordered would have been better and helped in a camshaft choice. Would you care to share the specs? Show the cam card?

I know I was gonna go a different route but I have this cam and I’m trying to see if I can make it work.

IMG_2116.jpeg

If ya can link it… please do. Thanks

-
Back