Camshaft wont fit

-
To answer your question . The cam is not ground properly for length. Replacing it is the only correct fix. Don't listen to some of these quick fixes from others. Any part that drags and creates friction is a bad thing in any motor. Sound like the rear of the cam is dragging on the rear expansion plug. This plug has a step that it seats on in the block and only goes in to a set depth. So not putting it in as far is not the solution. Catching this was a good discovery on your part. Some would just slap it together and let it wear in..

Correct off center lobe location is essential for lifter rotation as the cam rolls. This is what prevents wear . If the lobes would be center the lifters would wear the cam out immediately. Good find. Steve

To answer your question . The cam is not ground properly for length. Replacing it is the only correct fix. Don't listen to some of these quick fixes from others. Any part that drags and creates friction is a bad thing in any motor. Sound like the rear of the cam is dragging on the rear expansion plug. This plug has a step that it seats on in the block and only goes in to a set depth. So not putting it in as far is not the solution. Catching this was a good discovery on your part. Some would just slap it together and let it wear in..

Correct off center lobe location is essential for lifter rotation as the cam rolls. This is what prevents wear . If the lobes would be center the lifters would wear the cam out immediately. Good find. Steve

You pretty well nailed it on the head. I discovered that the plug in the rear was installed backwards...It was just dumb luck that the comp cam was just a little shorter and worked. Will be pulling everything back apart this weekend. Im just ready to drive the car! :burnout

You pretty well nailed it on the head. I discovered that the plug in the rear was installed backwards...It was just dumb luck that the comp cam was just a little shorter and worked. Will be pulling everything back apart this weekend. Im just ready to drive the car! :burnout

This is an excellent reason to wait and put the cam plug on after installing the camshaft..... No mistakes that way.

Good EYE Oldmanmopar !!

Just so you know, the cam plug does install backwards as compared to all the rest. Was it installed reverse from that? If so, then itis indeed in wrong. It should be convex side out.

There are two plugs - one is a single concave cap - you put it in place against the step with the concave side facing the camshaft and then expand it by using a hammer to dimple the center in. That's the older design and the one I like most. The other is a larger plug- looks kind of like a freeze plug but has an outer concentric "ring" on it. It installs like any other core plug but does not expand. If that's in backwards and driven all the way to the step then the cam would more than likely hit the center of it. IMO it also doesn't seal as well - so I tend not to use them. maybe someone has a picture of the new vs old designs - I don't have any handy.

-
Back