can 10:1 compression 408 get in 10`s

-

73dart360

Reaction score
hey guys i need some help here -heres the build
408 stroker forged steel stroker crank - forged pistons 10:1 ratio- i will be running w2 experimental race heads Oval track open chamber 70cc ported and polished by indy- matching Indy oval port intake-solid lift cam 630-652
solid lifters--long valves-exhaust 2.08
Crane cams roller rockers
headers
Holley 750 DP
TCI 3500 Stahl
410 posi
Caltracs- Mono leaf spring -rancho 9000 shocks.
THE QUESTION IS WILL 10:1 COMPRESSION BE ENOUGH OR SHOULD I SELL THE PISTONS AND GO HIGHER i WAS HOPING 10:1 COULD GET ME THERE ANY HELP IS GREATFUL

:headbang: i'm thinking you should be able to get into the 10's easy with that combo..is this a dedicated race car?? i race a 69 dart with ported ed's, a 590 purple cam 750 d/p, 4.88's in a 3000lb car and i consistantly run 10.90's... 11.0/1 comp on 110 octane race fuel..oooooooooo and did i mention it's a 30 over 340??? i am building a 408 similar to yours only with a roller cam same as yours from straight line, ported indy-brocks and 10.5 comp (pump gas). im hope to hit 10.0/ 10.10's

MAX AXE thanks for the reply i wasnt sure if it would be enough compression ,sounds like a nice set up your gonna do, let me know how it turns out.

yep!!!...you could take a STOCK 360/390 crate motor and put on your W-2's and INDY intake and go LOW 11's!!! :headbang:

wow that makes me feel better i was dreading having to get rid of my brand new pistons thanks again

You be fine on 10:1. You could use a bigger carb though. The 4" strokers seem to like as big of a carb as you can give them. Even my stock stroke 340 liked a lot of carb. Im gonna run a 830cfm proform on it but it actaully made more power with a 950cfm.

What does your car weigh? In a stripper a-body you shouldnt have a problem, but in a 74 Imperial...

I agree that you could probably use a bigger carb (depending on your actual rpm past the 1000 foot mark, BUT I would run what you've got to dial in the chassis etc...) Add the bigger carb only when nothing else will make the car quicker. The moderate compression will help keep this thing from hurting itself. Heck, a 250 HP nitrous shot might even be possible.

I am not sure of the weight does anybody know what a 73 318 dart weighed from factory I have lightened it -fiberglass front and rear bumpers ,fiberglass hood,cut out bumber brackets from frame to bumper -racing seats ,mono leaf springs i am guessing around 2800 lbs But i aded some weight back with a 5 point roll bar

Your car is still probably around 3000 pounds. These cars look they wouldn't weigh much, but they do. My car has all the factory glass but fiberglass bumpers with aluminum brackets and hood. No heater, or radio, lightweight racing seats, an 8 point bar and frame connectors, an aluminum radiator, lightweight brakes at all four corners, aluminum heads and an aluminum center section in the 8 3/4 and it still weighs 2900 pounds.

Tens shouldn't be a problem with your combo, looks like a good one to me. I don't think you could keep this one 'out' of the ten second bracket. And if it doesn't run the number...question would be 'why is it so slow?' But I think you will be happy with the results there 73Dart. Please keep us all informed as to your progress. Good luck, Terry.

-
Back