Can a newbie control rust? or Honey I Think I Finally Found THE Car!

-
A kool tip with por 15 is to drill 2 holes in the lid and put sheet metal screws in. Then you can unscrew them and use a small amount and put the screws back in. Otherwise its pretty much a 1 time use can as the lid seals on permenantly.

Yeah, I'll either wear an organic filter or borrow a buddie's fresh air hood. I'm still reading about this stuff, but I'm wondering how you rinse the two prep steps inside a trunk or floor pan with only surface rust / no drain holes.
wet/dry vacuum? The second step does not get rinsed and is mostly for smooth (not rusted) metal the way I see it. If you have clean dry surface rust (no scale) you have the perfect environment for the por15 rust encapsulation. I wouldn't use the metal prep on that but I think you can if you want too.

A kool tip with por 15 is to drill 2 holes in the lid and put sheet metal screws in. Then you can unscrew them and use a small amount and put the screws back in. Otherwise its pretty much a 1 time use can as the lid seals on permenantly.
Great idea. Use steel roofing screws with rubber gasket. I read where on person put a screw in the lid and one on the side at the very bottom. When it quits pouring he opens the top screw to give it a little puff of air for more pouring.

Iv'e had limited success using saran wrap between the lid and the can. I like the screw idea.

Yeah, a shop vac would keep up with a rinse. I'll remember the screw idea. I love simple! I read on the web site to use saran wrap under the lid and wondered if that would work to keep the fiberglass cloth down in depression areas with a little weight on top while the liquid sets up. Maybe not.

Yeah, a shop vac would keep up with a rinse. I'll remember the screw idea. I love simple! I read on the web site to use saran wrap under the lid and wondered if that would work to keep the fiberglass cloth down in depression areas with a little weight on top while the liquid sets up. Maybe not.
I think that would work well. It lays down real well with the fiberglass. Shouldn't need any weight. If you want to top coat it wait until it's just a little tacky. Its pretty benign stuff. I think you can coat it with about anything.

I think that would work well. It lays down real well with the fiberglass. Shouldn't need any weight. If you want to top coat it wait until it's just a little tacky. Its pretty benign stuff. I think you can coat it with about anything.
This is good info. I'm going back to search for por-15 to see what else I can learn while I'm waiting for the owner of the car I'd like to buy. My mind races with thoughts of applications; undercarriage, inside doors, and?

-
Back