Can a shop make a stall converter??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I am thinking about having my tranny rebuilt with the shift kit and all, I ask them about getting a 2400-2800 stall. They said they make them right there at the shop! I was thinking?? HUH?? They were saying it all depends on how the fins are bent on the converter... So I said.. Ah?? O.k then?

Has anyone heard of a transmission place building there own stall converters? They pretty much refurbish old ones.

ummmmmmm lol ok. never heard of that but sweet:) if they have been around long and been doin it long it sounds sweet lol. pbly better warrante so that could help

They also said $650.00 for a rebuild 904 w/2400 stall.

They also said only up to 300hp.
I think I'll be right at that.

1 year warranty.

shops/rebuilders can do what they call a cut convertor.

they are ok not super efficient but you can get 2600 or so out of them, of corse stall all depends upon the cubic inch like a slant 225=2200 while the same convertor stalls 2600 with a 360.

What do you mean by "not super efficient"???
Would it be worth it for a 650.00 tranny?

They just might make a lil more heat than stock or a $700 convertor due some convertor slippage @ lower rpm's, honestly nothing to really stress about it won't kill your tranny and you can simply run a trans cooler.

I will strongly suggest you have the convertor rinsed out before the install,when they weld them back together welding spatter can and will get in there and will ruin the transmission,actually I recommend rinsing any new or rebuilt convertor.ask to see one and use one of those magnets on a stick and roll the convertor around a bit with the magnet in there and see what you find.....I have found this spatter in several brands of convertors from rebild shops to b&m To tci etc.I was lucky and only lost one transmission to the death ball's.the convertor rebuild shop that did mine were offended at what I told them at first but I asked to let me show them and they allowed me to show them on one of their new ready to ship out convertors...they paid me for the rebuild on my transmission and gave me the custom convertor for free and sponsored my car.http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=86776&d=1247423911

I am thinking about having my tranny rebuilt with the shift kit and all, I ask them about getting a 2400-2800 stall. They said they make them right there at the shop! I was thinking?? HUH?? They were saying it all depends on how the fins are bent on the converter... So I said.. Ah?? O.k then?

Has anyone heard of a transmission place building there own stall converters? They pretty much refurbish old ones.

Look on the internet under torque converter repbuilt. There are several places. I had mine done at at Dacco in Cooksville, Tennessee 1800 443 3226,daccoperformance.com. I did a 24-26 stall. Hope that this helps.

Dave

Used to a full time gig a few years ago. I now do it as side line now. Make sure the shop has a balancer and they use it, if not pass. As for the welding berries in them ....yes but only if the two halves don't fit together tightly.

Trade secret as to how I avoid it, but it does happen. In 12 years I have never had a comeback due to that problem. Ever notice how much metal a 727/904 generates on its own? Do what you want as far as rinsing it out but it would have to pretty bad to ever cause a failure.

That problem should show up first on a l/u converter as the linings are mostly paper.:thumbup:

shopwardbinford.jpg

shopweldingturntable.jpg

shopwashermonarchlathe.jpg

shopworkstationparts.jpg

I'd bring my work to you in a heartbeat...your shop looks like a doctor's office and thank's for the acknowledgment of the "death ball's".The transmission builder and I disected my new trans that got ruined and found the "death ball's and I talked to the convertor guy's with an open mind looking to help them avoid comeback's for them,I was very happy with the work they did and the performance of the product,they even had me to help them go thru all their stock to look and correct any problems found and bought a power flush system for their shop and spent some time adjusting their welder to avoid any further problems.... yea the 727/904 do throw some metal shavings and live......That's why I call em "death ball's" they killed my $#i+...Lol
Used to a full time gig a few years ago. I now do it as side line now. Make sure the shop has a balancer and they use it, if not pass. As for the welding berries in them ....yes but only if the two halves don't fit together tightly.

Trade secret as to how I avoid it, but it does happen. In 12 years I have never had a comeback due to that problem. Ever notice how much metal a 727/904 generates on its own? Do what you want as far as rinsing it out but it would have to pretty bad to ever cause a failure.

That problem should show up first on a l/u converter as the linings are mostly paper.:thumbup:

shopwardbinford.jpg

shopweldingturntable.jpg

shopwashermonarchlathe.jpg

shopworkstationparts.jpg

-
Back