Can a slant six bell housing fit on a small block trans

-
Reaction score
I have a 65 dart with a slant six and I want to put a four speed in it and I was wondering if i could put a slant six bell housing on a small block 4 speed. I have a three speed manual in it right now that is the bell housing I would use.

Last edited:
No different starter location and bolt pattern. The trans should bolt onto any housing.

Last edited:
64-66 A Bodies came optionally with an 833 4 speed. So if you can locate a bell, you can install an 833

I have a 65 dart with a slant six and I want to put a four speed in it and I was wondering if i could put a slant six bell housing on a small block 4 speed

I think you guys read that backwards. Sounds like he has a slant. And slant bell housing. Wants to know if a 4sp box will bolt to the slant bell, which I'm guessing is currently a 3sp?

I, myself, don't know the answer.

@65Dart270Sedan can you clarify your question?

I think you guys read that backwards. Sounds like he has a slant. And slant bell housing. Wants to know if a 4sp box will bolt to the slant bell, which I'm guessing is currently a 3sp?

I, myself, don't know the answer.

@65Dart270Sedan can you clarify your question?
YES you an bolt an A833 4 speed trans to a slant BELL IF you have that correct 64 ish odd bell. There are two cast numbers I don't have them handy.

No different starter location and bolt pattern. The trans should bolt onto any housing.
Negative. It has to be an 833 four speed pattern. The NP435 as well as all the other three speeds all have different bellhousing patterns than the 833.

I have a 65 dart with a slant six and I want to put a four speed in it and I was wondering if i could put a slant six bell housing on a small block 4 speed
As long as the slant 6 bellhousing has the four speed bolt pattern, then yes. The 833 pattern is different from all the rest. So you will need either a slant 6 dedicated four speed bellousing, OR a dual pattern slant 6 bellhousing with both the three and four speed patterns, which there were some. Just make sure you also use the appropriately sized front bearing retainer to match the center hole of "whichever" bellhousing you find.

-
Back