Can a tech look at this chart please

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I sure hope this chart is correct it looks like they are saying the 8 1/4 will fit under our 65 and 66 early A bodies :cheers: just a spacer to move the wheel out 3/4'' and shorten drive shaft 1 1/2'' and move the perc'es in about 1'' and I know they will be LBP.
But I have learned you can not always believe everything you read :happy10:

Attachments

• rearaxledemensions.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 220
I believe I saw on here before that chart is wrong. Good idea to check with tech's.

Mike, that 8 1/4" rear will fit your car, no doubt. You will need to have your driveshaft shortened a little, but the perch and flange dimensions are the same for 7 1/4", 8 1/4" and 8 3/4". Go for it, although then you know you will need LBP front disc's to have the same bolt pattern. And there goes those sweet SBP rallyes!!! Good luck with the switchover!!! Geof

I believe I saw on here before that chart is wrong. Good idea to check with tech's.
Wow yall jump in here quick :grin: I think it's time to TAKE the time to carry a tape measure to a duster here in town, I think it is a 73 :grin:

Mike, that 8 1/4" rear will fit your car, no doubt. You will need to have your driveshaft shortened a little, but the perch and flange dimensions are the same for 7 1/4", 8 1/4" and 8 3/4". Go for it, although then you know you will need LBP front disc's to have the same bolt pattern. And there goes those sweet SBP rallyes!!! Good luck with the switchover!!! Geof
Well I am thinking it might be a good idea in the Near future to make the change Geof if I start :burnout: the girl some because Memphis Motor sports drag strip was bought by Moroso and will keep the track running for all to enjoy, and George Rays is fun. After looking at Tony fields thread it sure got my blood boiling again :cheers:
Yall jumped in before I could make my changes to the thread :iconbigg::iconbigg: Thank you :happy10::happy10::happy10:

Thank you 805moparkid, looks like the 8 1/4 pinion is moved to the passenger side about 1 1/2'' compared to the 7 1/4. Makes me wonder if there is enough room to do the 8 1/4 in an early A body. The chart above is correct then :happy10: Thank you for your help again :happy10:
Old Tired Rebel will need to see this thread :read2: :happy10:

From 63-76 the width from center to center of the spring perches remained unchanged. I just swapped an 8.750 from my 73 Scamp to my 63 Dart. With the exception of the driveshaft shortening, it was a bolt in swap. I am sure the 8.250 is similar.

From 63-76 the width from center to center of the spring perches remained unchanged. I just swapped an 8.750 from my 73 Scamp to my 63 Dart. With the exception of the driveshaft shortening, it was a bolt in swap. I am sure the 8.250 is similar.
Thank you SS, I am going to go with the 8 1/4 :happy10: I need all the HP I can get with my little 170, I would stay with the 7 1/4 because it is so light and don't use up HP. Good to here this my friend :happy10::happy10: Thank you

Mike,when I put the 8 3/4 in my 66 Dart,I used a driveshaft from a 73 Dart.I just changed the u-joint in back.No cutting required.Good luck.

Mike,when I put the 8 3/4 in my 66 Dart,I used a driveshaft from a 73 Dart.I just changed the u-joint in back.No cutting required.Good luck.
Thank you petty, It will be a while but it will be dun one day, there is some members needing this info here along with me :happy10:

one more thing to remember is you need to change the shock plates and get U-bolts due to the 7 1/4" having smaller diameter axle tubes than the 8 1/4", 8 3/4", & DANA 60, which all have the larger, more standard size axle tubes and use the same size U-bolts and shock plates

one more thing to remember is you need to change the shock plates and get U-bolts due to the 7 1/4" having smaller diameter axle tubes than the 8 1/4", 8 3/4", & DANA 60, which all have the larger, more standard size axle tubes and use the same size U-bolts and shock plates

Thank you caferacerx :cheers: That needs to be on the list to remember :happy10:, This thread will be used allot to help more folks and it is looking complete :cheers:

one more thing about U-bolts then,
you shouldn't reuse them, many people do with out problems, but they can break if you do, so do it at your own risk,
and besides new ones are available at most auto parts store's ( NAPA, autozone, pep boys, etc) for $15 or $20 a pair

-
Back