Can a vehicle have too much horsepower?

-
Depends what you are using the car for...

I daily drive a slant six car. In the time it has taken most of my car buddies to build that "Max horsepower" engine and car.....I have gone through a couple sets of tires and driven tens of thousands of miles.

Some guys are just never happy and it's going to take an eternity to get enough horsepower for them. Its as bad as wanting the absolute fastest computer or phone money can buy...... LOL

I resemble that statement..

Plenty of good points on both sides of this debate...but I always go back to the saying that used to come up all the time on the Miata forums; "If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help."

Yeah, I know. This is what people with 90hp say. :D
But there is some truth to it. If your car is set up right and you know what you're doing behind the wheel, the max hp number doesn't matter as much as it seems. I'd also wager that a well-driven, stock 1990 90hp Miata would lap most of us on any road course. Never underestimate the little MX-5. :)

My goal for my Dart is to make it as light, well-balanced and well-rounded as possible. Once it handles and drives the way that I want, I'll look into making it more powerful. Currently, the chassis, brakes, and steering are well behind the 5.9L's lazy 300hp output.

There’s having it, and being skilled enough to use it. Those are mutually exclusive...

Very high HP applications can definitely have issues with street use. Primarily heat. And not just motor. Auto trans of high horse cars heat up like open coals. And very difficult to bleed that heat at slow or idel speeds. Of course one can out horse the situation. Actually more easily these days with all the aftermarket power adders that are now available.

If the car does not scare you, it does not have enough horse power.

too much HP? nope. sorry.
Now - not being responsible enough to handle too much HP and keep it safe & legal on the street..thats the another question.
BTW - modern high perf cars have so much safety & tech built in, it makes high HP possible & reasonably safe - if your not an idiot.
but I digress,
so ill just leave this here for the miata fan club, so they can continue to live vicariously :)
lightning-lap-2018-2018-dodge-challenger-hellcat-widebody-ll-lead-1536942909.jpg

I say yes a vehicle can certainly have too much power. You like breakin stuff all the time?

I say yes a vehicle can certainly have too much power. You like breakin stuff all the time?

I aint broke anything yet , thank GOD !!
Tried to build it from day one to stay together , race balanced, cryo`d block, forged everything, fuel inj., total rewire, grade eight bolts in everything that's not factory, dana 60 , new custom built driveshsaft, custom built 727, frames tied, 6 point cage just for stiffness.
FINGERS CROSSED !

Last edited:
-
Back