Can an 8.25 rear end be narrowed?

-

pitbill

Reaction score
I have a 27 spline 8.25 from a 91 Jeep Cherokee with true trac diff and was wondering if the 8.25 rear end in general can be narrowed? I've searched and dont think I have found anything yet. I'm sure the housing itself can be done, but I don't think the axle shafts can be resplined due to the taper behind the splines so those would probably need to be custom made if anyone even custom makes 8.25 axle shafts. Does anybody know of a place who can make these or even cut and respline them if possible? Seems the only rear ends I see custom parts for listed from the big name places like Moses and Strange are for the Dana 60 and 8 3/4 (I'm sure due to those not having the c-clip axles) and the only axle shafts I do find for sale new/used for the 8.25 are stock oem lengths, and mainly for the 29 spline not the 27.

I know the best answer is to probably buy an 8 3/4, but I really don't have the minimum of $1500 for one of those with suregrip. I have a 72 Swinger that I am relocating the springs, mini tubbing and I am wanting to use wider wheels with very shallow backspacing. I know some people may say to "just find an A-body 8.25 as they are plentiful" and will be more narrow to begin with than what I have....however, in my part of the world they are not easy to find at all; and besides, I already have this set up laying around.

Just curious if any one knows of a place that does custom 8.25 work?

Thanks.

Yes, just use 8 3/4 ends and have moser make custom axles that are 8 3/4 hub end and 27 spline. Use green style bearings. I have done this many times and it works great. (8 3/4 ends = $50, narrow and weld= $125, relocate and weld perches= $65, Green bearings= $90, Moser axles= $300. Plus shipping?

Well that sounds great to me. I can save a little bit by relocating the spring perches myself as I have planned on that and already removed the old ones and shock mounts. So by the sound of it from your experience, if I call and ask for this they should be familiar with the process?

Yes, I have filled out their build sheet and have gotten a call from them (baffled), and once I explain what I am doing they understand right away. You can also save some money and have a set of 8 3/4 axles resplined to 27 spline and your correct length. This is also a good time to do a 3/4" spring relocation. I like to narrow the rear shorter than stock the add the 3/4" relocation so I can use a deeper dished rear wheel for better looks.

I actually plan on doing the spring relocation by using one of the kits to cut the frame and relocate underneath as to gain maximum clearance.

I have 8 3/4 axles and 8 3/4 ends I could sell you. Let me dig them out of the garage and take pics.

Can any 8 3/4 axle be used or does it have to be from a truck or C-body for the longer length to respline these?

my advice for what it is worth. stay away from resplined axles like the plague unless you using a 6 cyl or 318 stock. i have seen more twisted resplined axles than comfortable with.of course the worst that happens is the the car will not drive that tire but if you are hard on the throttle on a bad road you could end up visiting a ditch and NEVER EVER consider using them on a drag strip or with spool,mini spool. the 8 3/4 ends are a good idea to get rid of c clips. just remember that the 8 1/4 will not take the abue of an 8 3/4.good luck. paul

I have a 27 spline 8.25 from a 91 Jeep Cherokee with true trac diff and was wondering if the 8.25 rear end in general can be narrowed? I've searched and dont think I have found anything yet. I'm sure the housing itself can be done, but I don't think the axle shafts can be resplined due to the taper behind the splines so those would probably need to be custom made if anyone even custom makes 8.25 axle shafts. Does anybody know of a place who can make these or even cut and respline them if possible? Seems the only rear ends I see custom parts for listed from the big name places like Moses and Strange are for the Dana 60 and 8 3/4 (I'm sure due to those not having the c-clip axles) and the only axle shafts I do find for sale new/used for the 8.25 are stock oem lengths, and mainly for the 29 spline not the 27.

I know the best answer is to probably buy an 8 3/4, but I really don't have the minimum of $1500 for one of those with suregrip. I have a 72 Swinger that I am relocating the springs, mini tubbing and I am wanting to use wider wheels with very shallow backspacing. I know some people may say to "just find an A-body 8.25 as they are plentiful" and will be more narrow to begin with than what I have....however, in my part of the world they are not easy to find at all; and besides, I already have this set up laying around.

Just curious if any one knows of a place that does custom 8.25 work?

Thanks.

if you are going to spend the money to narrow the 8 1/4 then spend $100 for a c-body 8 3/4 and narrow that. put it in with an open end and save for the rest...

or get an explorer rear. can get those with a 3.73 posi for like $200 just about anywhere and with rear disc brakes. then just weld the perches where you need them.

here is what a friend of mine did..

OK - Update without pics....
Stock Explorer 8.8 rear, 31 spline axles, 3.73 (may change to 3.21) gear, limited slip, disc brakes - $250 complete from junkyard. Add 2005 and up mustang wheels (17x8, 6.3" bs) put wheels in the center of the wheel wells. 275/50/17's are a close fit (1/4 to 1/2" all around, may have to down a size so they don't rub. Also moved springs in 1/2"...

attachment.php

attachment.php

I probably should have went the 8 3/4 route to begin with but I already have over $500 tied up in this 8.25 with Tru Trak posi unit and would rather just stay this route if possible. The car is only for driving around town to cruise ins and will never see a dragstrip. The Cherokee rear will fit...sort of. The tires are spread nearly to the fenders with no room for wider tires on stock ralleys (at least on mine anyways.) Also, I am wanting deep dish Torque Thrust wheels so I will need to narrow for the look I want anyways.

I do appreciate all of the replies I am getting. Thanks.

I spoke with a guy from Moser today and he says they can just make me a new 8.25 axle to my required length for $299 and shorten the housing for $145. I think this may be the best way for me to go. So to answer my own question, yes, the 8.25 rear can be narrowed. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

about $1000 into a 8 1/4? thats freaking nuts...

I totally agree with this!Everyone wants a cheaper route but you need to get all the costs involved!The end result is what makes the difference,even if someone gives you the rear!

-
Back