Can any one guess what he is making?

-
A "Fenner lock" being used should tell you all something. Although they are not in the pictures at this time they will lock rotation at any spot. So Height can be locked. rotation can be locked.
Gonna go out on a limb and point out my guess hasn't been shot down yet... until 1..2..3.. :)

No . but we could probably modify them for that. the picture of the 1" and 5/8" plate on the table with the hammer will be part of what he is making. There is about 20 - 24 pieces of thick steel , threaded rod and round stock on the one tool box that still have to be machined for this fixtrure.

He bought the lifter bore fixture for SB & BB mopar. $1600. the 45 degree block fixture from rottler $6800. he is buying that. This fixture he decided to make Heavy duty because he used one everyday and knew the improvements that it needed. So he said.

I know what he is making and I am still amazed . If he would build his own house he would use a transit on every board and be within a 64th of an inch in 12 ft.

No idea. But whatever it is, it looks very professional.

You are obviously very proud of him. :thumbsup:

I am proud of what he taught himself beyond my knowledge. I will keep posting pictures of this as it progresses. It won't take to much longer he has a job waiting for them.

I think so, but I think that a lot more capabilities than just lifter bore correction and bushing are being planned here. Given the size and rigidity of the whole affair, plus the rotary table, I think the end product will be multifunctional.

What ever it is, I’m impressed! This looks more like art than something that will be used to do actual work with...

Waiting patiently... I understand this is going to take a while because of all the other work that is probably happening. Did he machine the thumb wheels that adjust the height, too? That is some pretty fabrication.

Oh no...here we go again...I gotsta know!

You know it's comin......

I GOTSTA KNOW.JPG

Waiting patiently... I understand this is going to take a while because of all the other work that is probably happening. Did he machine the thumb wheels that adjust the height, too? That is some pretty fabrication.

Yes he made every piece except the threaded rod and the handles He has pieces of round brass in behind the handles. Radius-ed to fit against the shaft There is ball bearings under the adjustment wheel , Easy turning for heavy weight.

The shafts are what threw me off. Going through that bearing how would you lock them. Do you all know what Fenner locks are? I know now. This is what you learn when you do this type of work with older Machinist There are different styles he is using the trantorque.

Trantorque GT 1-3/16"

My son learned a lot from a friend of mine. A machinist that was building our ATV motors for the nationals 20 yrs ago. This guy probably knows the parts list for the space shuttle. If my son wants to know who makes what to do whatever he calls him. OLD GUYS RULE.

He's going to start producing rocker shafts and roller rockers!

Of course I'm kidding. I still have absolutely no idea!

Perhaps a fixture for setting a block in a mill for flycutting the decks parrallel to the crank centerline, and probably some fixturing to be able to set cylinder heads in too for milling guide, seat, valve spring pocket work, etc. But just speculation on my part. Is that going on the series two Bridgeport or the cnc bed mill?

probably some fixture to be able to set cylinder heads in too for milling guide, seat, valve spring pocket work, etc. Is that going on the series two Bridgeport or the cnc bed mill?
DING DING DING DING. You got it. And yes it will eventually be going on the series II after we make the riser. Common rail Cummins heads are heavy as are Cat and Detroit.Using a pilot level in the guide and adusting it accurately and holding it is critical. The first set in are 6.2 Hemi heads. He uses CBN cutters for surfacing. The finish is like chrome. As nice as my new bumpers.

If you aren’t making a mess, ain’t any work happening. I usually look like I’ve been wrestling a beat after doing something as simple as detailing a vehicle anymore. Or at least I feel like it, this getting old business is way overrated!

If you aren’t making a mess, ain’t any work happening. I usually look like I’ve been wrestling a beat after doing something as simple as detailing a vehicle anymore. Or at least I feel like it, this getting old business is way overrated!

Getting old, aint for lite weights !!

-
Back