Can anyone help? Please?

-

Zuco71Dart

Reaction score
I have a 71 Dodge Dart, it has a slant 6 with a 4 barrel Holley carb.
Every time I step in the gas, even a little, it nearly dies, and if I floor it,
The whole engine shuts off. Any solutions? Thank you ahead of time

Are there any other mods to the engine?

4 bbl sounds like overkill on a stock slant and you may be drowning it. Put a smaller carb on it or don't stab it so hard...

(Or build the engine to handle the 4 bbl...)

Is the accelerator pump adjusted properly on the carb???

Run a hot wire from B+ to coil+ and then see how it runs. If this makes a change you have low voltage to ignition or a bad coil (or both as one can be the result of the other). Things to check include ballast resistor and bulkhead connections at firewall. If this a points ignition don't run it very long hot wired. Also make sure you don't have any loose grounds being affected by engine torque.
If it is fuel related things like low fuel level in carb, weak fuel pump, clogged filter, vacuum leak and clogged or non functioning accelerator pump may be an issue.

I've been running it like this for a couple months now, this is the first time it has happened. I have hooker headers, that's about it

You may have picked up some water in a recent fill up. Pull a bottom bowl screw on both bowls and drain the fuel into something you can see well. What ignition do you run?

Have you parked next to a Chevy recently? Maybe your car caught sumffin.

you need air, fuel and spark - - is this under load (in drive and trying to go) - can you throttle it in park? sometimes stuff loosens up - it sounds like lack of air as I am assuming it'll start and idle just not go.. check your idle mixture screws - they can back out on you. Check the choke - set right? is something foreign in there? carburetors in general can loosen up some - is everything tight - including the carb mounting nuts? maybe a hose has fallen off... all kinds of stupid little $#it that can mess you up..

How's the fuel psi ? Pull the sight/level plugs? Is the carb anywhere near full? Plus, as
many here have queried, more details about everything You're running 'quip-wise.
:coffee2:

-
Back