Can anyone help with a title for my Sportster.

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
I picke up an 87 Sportster about 4 years ago and its still in the garage. I know there has been no plates on it in a long time and there appears to be no criminal history either. I have no papers on the bike or title. Am I up the creek? Is there a way to get a title on this bike. It still runs and has some good stuff on the bike. I want to take it apart and rebuild it for a local and to work cruiser. Does anyone have a basket case 86 to 91 Sporty with clean papers cheap I can buy and swap stuff over to make a good running bike if I cant get mine titled? Thanks for the help!!
Chas.

Bonding's a *****, I'm going through it here with one of my bikes. First I have to trailer it over the state police for a vin verification and prove it's non-functional. Then I have to get a verifiable (they give you a list) appraisal and it must be worth more than 300 bucks. I then have to bond it for twice the value, and apply for a rebuilders title. Once it's done, I have to fill out a form with all the parts and where I got them from, and then get a regular title.

When you bond, you never get that money back, may as well flush it plus the dough for the appraiser, the VIN verification, the rebuilders title and the regular title. This is how it works here in Colorado, as mentioned before, every state is different though.

Call around to dealers...in many states, a used-car/bike dealer can get a title for a vehicle. A local dude does it for $150...long as you're not in a hurry. (The DMV paperwork can take a couple months.)

There's always a way.....I mean, legally. It usually involves jumping through a few hoops and spending some money, but you'll feel a bit better I think. Is it still "in the system"?.....meaning, is there currently a name attached to the VIN?

I'm here in the people's republic of Illinois also. The Secretary of state office warns against taking possession of any vehicle without a title. That's why I suggested a mechanics lien , had a car of mine “stolen" from me like that years back, but I hear it's still being practiced.

-
Back