Can anyone i.d. these for me?

-
Are you sure the 72 Cudas weren't the painted ones like the Plymouth B's?
After looking in the parts book I did an image search. I could not find a single photo of a '72 Cuda with painted indicators. I did see a couple of dozen with the short chrome ones, though.

My 70-71 FPM shows the chrome ones for Valiant/Duster. I've never seen painted ones on them myself. The 2 Dusters I've owned with them had chrome ones.
I don't recall seeing the painted ones on A-bodies either. A friend had an unmolested '71 Twister several years back, I'll ask him tomorrow... but based on the manual:

TurnTurnTurn.jpg

The red bar highlights that they all used the same cover, but obviously different cars need different wire lengths, which changes the assembly number.

Guess I was reading it wrong but ya it shows 71 V line with them. I did a search and found the chrome ones on 70 Dusters and the painted ones on 71 Dusters but all of the 71's were 340's or Twisters. Makes since. Both my Dusters were 1970. I had a 72 Twister parts car but it was missing the fenders. What did 72 have? I don't have a 72 FPM. On my list for one.
There are few 72 Cudas around here. Wounder what if they have. I'll check. I've never messed with the 72-4 E's much and just assumed that the 72 Cudas had the same as 71.

All the '72s except the Plymouth B-body coupes, the Imperial, and Chrysler C-bodies with fender-length peak mouldings used the small chrome ones.

For giggles, I did an image search for '71 Dusters... I'll be damned, there they are. I guess I never noticed 'em, but then again I never paid a ton of attention to the A-bodies until I bought my '69 Valiant six or seven years back. Now I have two As and I'm trying to buy a third!

What stuck out to Me right away was how the leading edges taper to a point, definitely not like the units from My '72 Swinger or '72 Duster.

The detail in this thread is strong! Learning something new everyday….

My 72 Demon has the chrome ones, same as the early style, no screw, slightly shorter than the 73 and up w the screw. One actually, as one was missing. It's coded for the light group on the fender tag, I figured that was part of it.

Here are the housings. Edited:
Left small chrome used on most 68-72 Dodges and some Plymouths. Including 68-71 Trucks. 70 Challenger 340
2nd green one. 1970 Cuda and 70-71 Challenger except 70 Challenger 340.
3rd. Used on 71-2 Plymouth B bodies, 71 Cuda and Duster.
4th. Cheap looking uglyass ones used on all 73-up models.
1672962965026.jpeg

1672962998476.jpeg

Last edited:
The '70 Cuda & '70-'71 Challenger used a specific number, which is simply a painted version of the basic chrome 1969-'72 Dart part (same outer casting, different finish):

View attachment 1716029967

The lone '70 E-body exception was the '70 Challenger A66 (340 package) which used the standard chrome '69-'72 Dart-style parts. All 1972 E-bodies also used those parts.

The ones that started the post are technically 1971 only, Valiant/Duster and Barracuda/Cuda only. The Satellite/RR/GTX had the same lens/base and outer hood, but much longer pigtails:

View attachment 1716029970

The wire length is the only difference, along with the outer braided shield on the B-body version. Full-size '71 Plymouths used the B-body parts (on non-bulge-hood cars).

In 1972, the assembly part number changed (probably a minor change like wire length or shield) but the visible parts have the same appearance. In 1972 they were used on 2dr Plymouth B only. All 1972 A, E, Dodge B-bodies, and non-coupe Plymouth B-cars used the basic chrome ones in post #8 above (a.k.a. '69-'72 Dart style) including Cuda. There are part number differences for wire length, but the visible parts are the same.

It's all pretty straightforward with the parts books and a little image searching, except for the chrome ones. I've seen a pair of 'em, but I have no idea what the application might've been... or if someone just had theirs chromed.
Those pictures are mine.. They are the rare satellite Sebring plus chrome covers. The op’s turn signals look like 71 fury looking at the length of he wire..

Those pictures are mine.. They are the rare satellite Sebring plus chrome covers. The op’s turn signals look like 71 fury looking at the length of he wire..
SSP chrome covers? I've had two 71 and three 72 SSP with the fender T/S and all were painted just like the other 71-2 Plymouth B's

The '70 Cuda & '70-'71 Challenger used a specific number, which is simply a painted version of the basic chrome 1969-'72 Dart part (same outer casting, different finish):

View attachment 1716029967

The lone '70 E-body exception was the '70 Challenger A66 (340 package) which used the standard chrome '69-'72 Dart-style parts. All 1972 E-bodies also used those parts.

The ones that started the post are technically 1971 only, Valiant/Duster and Barracuda/Cuda only. The Satellite/RR/GTX had the same lens/base and outer hood, but much longer pigtails:

View attachment 1716029970

The wire length is the only difference, along with the outer braided shield on the B-body version. Full-size '71 Plymouths used the B-body parts (on non-bulge-hood cars).

In 1972, the assembly part number changed (probably a minor change like wire length or shield) but the visible parts have the same appearance. In 1972 they were used on 2dr Plymouth B only. All 1972 A, E, Dodge B-bodies, and non-coupe Plymouth B-cars used the basic chrome ones in post #8 above (a.k.a. '69-'72 Dart style) including Cuda. There are part number differences for wire length, but the visible parts are the same.

It's all pretty straightforward with the parts books and a little image searching, except for the chrome ones. I've seen a pair of 'em, but I have no idea what the application might've been... or if someone just had theirs chromed.
Also I never seen a painted version of the chrome ones. The green one in my pic came from a 70 Barracuda and we've had a few 70 Cudas with the same.

SSP chrome covers? I've had two 71 and three 72 SSP with the fender T/S and all were painted just like the other 71-2 Plymouth B's
They had some chrome ones that also made it on some SSP’s and I have seen some on Scamps both very rare but they did it. I have a pair of the chrome covers NOS I got out of a dealership decades ago…

10DA15F8-E934-4C32-AAFA-B8F82F78F368.jpeg

C905ABD8-75B6-42A5-9934-AD3E22D74D1B.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. Good to know. The 72 SSP that I have now came with the painted ones. I had a spare RR hood with the holes that I threw on the car so I moved them to the hood and filled the fender holes
1673230587232.jpeg

1673230618370.jpeg

1673230923621.jpeg

Interesting. Good to know. The 72 SSP that I have now came with the painted ones. I had a spare RR hood with the holes that I threw on the car so I moved them to the hood and filled the fender holes
View attachment 1716032472

View attachment 1716032473

View attachment 1716032474
Again chrome ones were not common at all. 99.999% I have seen were painted.. Don’t know why some of these got out chromed could of been a vendor screw up and they slipped out on some cars…

Well you know as well as I that they didn't stop the line for nothin'. If they ran out of the painted ones then they used the chrome ones.

They had some chrome ones that also made it on some SSP’s and I have seen some on Scamps both very rare but they did it. I have a pair of the chrome covers NOS I got out of a dealership decades ago…

View attachment 1716032463

View attachment 1716032464

It's hard to tell, but those look shorter than the OP's parts. They look like the standard '69-'72 Dart units. Strangely, there is only one part number listed for the Plymouth B-body (2-door-only) part in both '71 and '72 catalogs--though the number changed. I would expect different numbers for chrome and body-color. But, as I mentioned, I have seen the long chrome ones.

Here are the housings.
Left small chrome used on most 68-72 Dodges and some Plymouths. Including 68-71 Trucks
2nd green one. 1970 Cuda for sure and I thought only too. All 1970 E bodies?
3rd. Used on 71-2 Plymouth B bodies, 71 Cuda and Duster.
4th. Cheap looking uglyass ones used on all 73-up models.
View attachment 1716031090

View attachment 1716031091

OK, the green one must be what's on that '70 'Cuda photo I posted. From that angle it looked identical to the one on the left but I did notice/mention a different part number in the catalog. That's on me; sorry. However, the catalog says the '70 A66 Challenger was the only '70-'71 Challenger that didn't use (what I now know is) that green one, which '70 Cudas also used. The A66 used the one on the left. Thanks for clearing it up!

It's hard to tell, but those look shorter than the OP's parts. They look like the standard '69-'72 Dart units. Strangely, there is only one part number listed for the Plymouth B-body (2-door-only) part in both '71 and '72 catalogs--though the number changed. I would expect different numbers for chrome and body-color. But, as I mentioned, I have seen the long chrome ones.

OK, the green one must be what's on that '70 'Cuda photo I posted. From that angle it looked identical to the one on the left but I did notice/mention a different part number in the catalog. That's on me; sorry. However, the catalog says the '70 A66 Challenger was the only '70-'71 Challenger that didn't use (what I now know is) that green one, which '70 Cudas also used. The A66 used the one on the left. Thanks for clearing it up!
Nope they are the same size and the same as the painted ones for a 71-2 b-body just chromed..

I agree that the 70 Challenger 340 got the chrome ones and have learned that the other 70 Challengers along with the 71's got the "70 Cuda ones". Always love learning.

Were the ones you sold under the photo I posted earlier in the thread chrome?
Yes I believe so. I didn’t sell those. I ended up selling a nos painted set.. I still have them.

Last edited:
I just found your ad on FFBO again by searching the '72 part number. Those were the painted ones, per your ad.

In the '71 catalog, they don't list them as a complete assembly, only as the lamp assembly (wire, socket, lens, but no cover) or a cover by itself. The wire/lens bit was 3479378, the cover was 3479246. The cover, by itself, is the same number in the '72 catalog for 2-dr B.

What I'm getting out of all this is that there are two variations, but Chrysler only ever serviced one part number. If you're familiar with E-bodies, there's only one tach number despite '70-early '72 having an 8,000RPM tach, while later '72-'74 cars had a 7,000RPM unit. There was only ever one part number, and you didn't know which was in the box until you opened it. The '70-'71 4.5" bolt-circle Rallye centers were like that for years, too.

-
Back