Can anyone identify these?

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
As I was rebuilding the front end of the 71 Dart I bought, I came acroos some pretty funky hub assemblies. They looked like the previous owner had a blank hub, drilled, tapped and then welded all thread as studs. So, I got a hold a brake shop who told me they were 10" drum spindles on the car and I bought the appropriate disc set up. Guess what, doesnt fit. So, I found a guy in vt. that had the 10"drum spindles, $100.00 later, they arrived and I still can't get the brake assemblie (wilwood) to fit. Can someone please tell me what these are and does anyone have a set of 10" drum spindles for a 1971 dart???? I really don't want to change the front end not to mention I'm way over budget as is.
Thanks for any help.
Jim

Attachments

• IMG959163.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 2013-01-11_16-23-33_280.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 244
Those look like the spindles on my early A that has 10" drums, and I believe the early A suspension was slightly different.

No clue why those studs would be welded over like that on the hub though.
There is a swap meet coming up in march at the fair grounds that you could find some spindles at possibly.

I have a set of extra drum spindles from a 67 fish. They are still attached to the steering arm but I could disassemble them if you really need a set. I had to cut the lower ball joints off with a torch yesterday just to get the lower control arms off the ball joints. Even with the right American Muscle tool they wouldn't come off. Needed a 20 ton press to get the tapered part that was left to pop loose.

What I need is a GOOD passenger side upper A arm. Those damn things get abused and wallow the top bushing holes out, they crack up there, idiots ruin the ball joint threads.

I think they were welded up because the car has the 4.5 X 5 bolt pattern for the 15" wheels. Also, it is the original Kelsey hayes brake assembly. So the problem I'm faced with is, do I run it with the funky hubs, get a 66 mustang (K.H.) rotor and have it machined or continue to llook for a set of 10" drum spindles????
Any suggestions.

Those spindles you have pictured look like they are 10 in 67-72 drum spindles There where two different 10 in drum spindles made for these years and if you clean the front edge of the upright shafts there should be a part/cast number present. Also if i would see a pic of the back of the spindle i could tell you what year they are. I do have a very nice set of 10in front drum and hub assemblies with newer lining, painted ready to go if you are interested or need more info PM me

What Wilwood brakes do you have, did you buy a kit? Pic's of the problem you are having would help.

I did buy the kit for the 65 to 72 a body with 10" drum spindles. I'm new at this and havent learned the shoot first aim later rule doesnt work. I sent a picture of the existing spindles to a guy at Magnum force and he said 10" drum spindles. so I bought the kit from him. The problem is I don't want to use the hubs that are on the car, I have 15" rally wheels and don't want to change them so I'm trying to make the Wilwoods work but can't seem to get it together. Like I said, I bought what I think is 10 " drum spindles but the caliper mounts don't come close. ??? Here is another picture of the spindles. I wasn't aware there is two types of a body spindles ???
UGH!! I'm ready for a cocktail.

Attachments

• IMG956833.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG959163.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 204
here is a couple more pics, I wasn't aware that they made more than one type of 10" drum spindles???

Attachments

• IMG956833.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG955555.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 196
so now I have to wonder if I wouldn't be better off getting the Mustang rotors and having them machined and keeping the original K.H. setup that is on there. Definately cheaper but that doesn't always make it better. Has anyone done the swap using the raybestos 6004r rotor and hub assembly and had it machined down??? Any feedback is appreciated.

I did buy the kit for the 65 to 72 a body with 10" drum spindles. I'm new at this and havent learned the shoot first aim later rule doesnt work. I sent a picture of the existing spindles to a guy at Magnum force and he said 10" drum spindles. so I bought the kit from him. The problem is I don't want to use the hubs that are on the car, I have 15" rally wheels and don't want to change them so I'm trying to make the Wilwoods work but can't seem to get it together. Like I said, I bought what I think is 10 " drum spindles but the caliper mounts don't come close. ??? Here is another picture of the spindles. I wasn't aware there is two types of a body spindles ???
UGH!! I'm ready for a cocktail.

What was the part number of the Wilwood kit you bought? Here is a link to the Wilwood site and the Drum brake kits for a 67 Barracuda.
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitListFront.aspx?year=1967&make=Plymouth&model=Barracuda&modoption=9%22%20Inch%20Drum%20Brake%20Spindle

As you can see the kit comes with what looks like hubs with two different bolt patterns.

And here is the link for the 71 dart.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...art&option=10"+Inch+Drum+Brake+Spindle&whl=15

I would compare what you have to what they show.

I bought the one for the 71 dart. I think I have it figured out. The spindles I have are for a B or E body. The spindles I need are for an A body. Clint from Magnum force is sending the spindles so I should know on Friday if everything is going back or we're in business. Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know how it pans out.

Finally, after a long fought battle, brakes are finished.
I will have a complete set of KH front discs for an a body available from hose to hub including spindles.
If there is any interest, pm me.
Thanks for all your help.
Jim

Attachments

• 2013-02-12_12-09-14_882.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 2013-02-12_12-09-21_396.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 117
Nice looking setup! Im considering the same for my 70 duster. Im in Laporte and work in east chicago, If you ever need some help with these cars send me a pm and id be glad to stop by.

-
Back