Can anyone identify this cam?

-

71_Duster

Reaction score
Came off a 340 from a 68’ barricuda. I’m pretty sure it’s not stock. Was supposedly installed in the 80’s.
E28A8CD3-2F52-40DA-93F3-7D356EC1D869.jpeg
E28A8CD3-2F52-40DA-93F3-7D356EC1D869.jpeg
CA82818C-B046-49D0-9E07-F7E001FB0DEB.jpeg

Thank you guys so much! This community is great! The last I remember(15 years ago) the car was running terribly. Had this cam along with a 340 victor jr intake and 850 db carb. Don’t know what converter was in it but everything seemed off. About 10 years ago, I put a edelbrock performer rpm Intake an 600 Holley carb. Didn’t know it had this particular cam. As of now I’m trying to build a reliable street driving cruiser. Prob going to
Stick with X heads. Any recommendations on this cam as for street cruiser and with my current intake carb? I plan on getting an updated converter to match whatever setup I plan on going. 3:55 gears out back.

Last edited:
That is a good cam for a mild streeter, stock converter type deal. Get the idle tune up right and it will run OK.

No reason to toss it if it was working. Degree it in, set idle timing at about 14-16 and total around 34-36 in at 3K and it should run nicely.

There are some other cams that have more area under the curve and will make more power than the one you have or the one I recommended. But we'd need to know how much compression you are planning on and what you're looking at in the way of headwork and your overall performance goals.

Whatever cam from factory 68’ 340. I’ve read 10:5:1 was stock then I’ve read how that was used as a scale and could not be indicative on all models prior to 1971+. As for head gasket was looking to just go with stock. Had the long tubes but getting rid of them for stock 340 and magnum manifold. I’m building this for my older brother who’s always wanted this running. He’s getting up there in age and just want to do a nice cruiser, springs don’t look stock but it’s not double. I wouldn’t mind staying with this cam if it’s doable with the 600 Holley carb and rpm intake manifold. Yes stay with hydraulic flat tappets. I am on a budget considering I have a family of my own and things are getting a bit expensive and a large part Will be going toward converter and transmission rebuild. I wouldn’t mind changing cams if it doesn’t require me replacing the stamped steel rockers since I’ve head high lifts making pushrods fo through rocker arms thus purchasing roller rockers. Again, my brother is in his early 60’s. I don’t think he’s going to go racing. If I stay with this cam what would the pro/con be from using performer intake 600 carb vs 340 victor jr 800carb aside from mpg?

It so close to a factory 340 4 speed cam it's not worth the $ to change it. JMO.

It is a good cam and will run fine with a good tune up. MY 70 340 4 speed Dart ran 102-103 with that cam, LD340 and 750 DP, 3.91 gears. It scoots pretty good. and better than the factory std 340 cam. IMO, run what you have.

Factory saying they were 10.5:1 and what they really were are a bit different.

It so close to a factory 340 4 speed cam it's not worth the $ to change it. JMO.

It is a good cam and will run fine with a good tune up. MY 70 340 4 speed Dart ran 102-103 with that cam, LD340 and 750 DP, 3.91 gears. It scoots pretty good. and better than the factory std 340 cam. IMO, run what you have.

Factory saying they were 10.5:1 and what they really were are a bit different.
Understood, would you say the 340 victor intake and 850 carb was a bit overkill? Since this cam is 2000-4500rpm what stall converter you recommend?

Yes, to say the least. The Victor 340 has it’s own place, and this build is about as far from a happy place for one as you can find. You can sell that Victor intake and double pumper here to help offset the cost of the transmission and converter work. A factory high stall converter (precision of new Hampton, Hemi specification converter) would be fine in this combination. The existing cam, 600 Holley, performer rpm, and a performance distributor recurve will meet your goals very well.

Victor has no place on that short block.

Put a 600-750 vac secondary carb on it.

Sorry, forgot to ask a pertinent question. The hydraulic flat tappets that were in look to be in great condition. It is from the 80’s but engine didn’t really run much throughout the years. Everything inside looks in great shape. Should I reuse it? Reason I removed everything was to visually inspect everything and just replace all gaskets. I’ve read a lot of issues with supplies namely cams/lifters regardless what brand just failing(ie. cheap material) regardless of brand. Where a lot of people are looking to buy old shelved product seeing as they were built better quality.

if you kept them in order, clean them up and reinstall. no break in required. if tossed in a can. new lifters are in your future

Yep, the lifters have a wear pattern specific to each cam lobe. Bad things happen if they get mixed up. If it’s the MP green tag distributor, an FBO mechanical advance limiter plate and spring kit is probably a good idea. Mine had 25 degrees of crankshaft advance, which may be a little much for 14-16 degrees of initial timing. I would think 34 degrees mechanical all in at 3000 rpm would be reasonably close for the timing curve. NGK FR5 (has a 5/8 hex, makes life easier!) should be a good starting point for the plugs.

-
Back