can anyone tell me what I should set timing at for a 74 318? TDC or 6 d TDC?

-

169dart4y

Reaction score
Last month I had to change the distributor in my 318, I dropped it in right at the same point where it was when I removed the old one.
Set the timing at 2 d before tdc and the car was gutless, set it again at like 6 D before TDC and it runs great has great performance but my gas mileage seems to be a lot worse than before.
I drove the car one way 88 miles out to Rio vista to windsurf and it consumed like 3/4 of a tank about 6 3/4 gallons. I thought I was getting about 18 to 22 before I changed out the distributor? not real positive about that but you can almost watch the gauge drop as you drive, not normal.
any help would be great.
The car got the same mileage on the return trip and had to stop to get gas, I know I have driven this before without having to refuel.

Are you sure the "new" dist is OK?

That is does the vacuum advance work?

Does the mechanical advance work? What is the advance curve? If you got ahold of a dist. (where your first may have been a stocker) and your "new" one has a shortened mechanical advance for performance, you may not be getting anywhere NEAR the amount of total advance as you go down the road.

ANYBODY who fiddles with performance cars should take the time to:

Use a piston stop to determine the accuracy of the TDC mark,

and take the time to degree the balancer (or buy timing tape) OR

buy a "dialup" timing light.

I however, have seen first hand at least two delay timing lights which WERE NOT accurate. 'S all I need to stay away from 'em.

One of these methods is the ONLY way to figure out if you are getting enough advance.

Now there are a couple of "quick and dirty" methods.

One is simply to keep advancing the dist. a little at a time until the engine starts to ping under throttle. You need to check, however, several places in the power curve.

Another is to take a vacuum gauge, turn the dist. at idle for highest vacuum reading, and then retard the timing until it falls off a couple of inches Hg

Well I just retested the timing and I had it set at 10 d BTC.
I dropped it to about 4 or 5 d BTC and the car seems to run fine still, quick response off the line and no hesitation.
There isn't someone who knows what the manual says the timing should be set? Just to get an idea where to start ? My manual only goes up to 1970 and say's 2 d BTC. then 71 say's ** under timing ? This is a 74 Probably no difference? Not to sure. Thanks

Forget the manual and "what it says." Many of the '70's stuff was set AFTER TDC or at TDC "for smog." That does not mean it ran. Notice I said ran. If it's not running it does meet the smog test, right?

I would be tempted to "more" as opposed to "less."

The thing is THE TWO DISTRIBUTORS may be different as to advance curve. THIS MEANS that you are just shooting in the dark.

-
Back