Can Anything Be Reused?

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
I have everything from a 68 Dart 225 A/C setup and noticed that the compressor I removed from my 70 Fury was bigger and had different lb. ratings on it. Made me wonder what else would not interchange when I put the 383 in. I plan on keeping the factory AC (heavier and all, i know, but I like the factory look) so is everything else, valves, lines, all the same sizes and capacities? I know brackets will differ, and that’s taken care of, but what else do I need to consider when hooking this /6 A/C up to my big block? Thanks guys.

Hi,

The /6 compressor would have been the smaller RV if it was stock. The 70 Fury would be an RV-2 and will fit just fine on a 383 with the right mounting brackets. The /6 RV compressor likely had a single drive belt clutch and you will need the dual belt set up of the RV-2 on a 383.

That being said, I doubt that any of the /6 refrigerant lines will be usable except for perhaps a liquid line or two to the receiver /dryer. I doubt any of the flex lines will match up to where you need them to be. I suspect you will need to make up lines as I don't think A/C was offered in a 383 A body and if it was your chance of finding those lines today is slim to none.

The expansion valve and such would be the same but the /6 lines may put the valve in the wrong place to not interfere with the big block. Those big blocks get very tight in an A body.

OK, I’ll need to start looking for aftermarket that may make these hoses for this application. But I think converting to a Sanden may be only as expensive as trying to locate all of this stuff. Who can make a custom A/C line? I’ll have to look at the expansion valve as it probably will be very crowded with a big block in there.
And I probably did ask but I couldn’t say if anyone responded back then. Thanks for the help from New Hampshire.

I was not aware they made different size RV-2 compressors, is this for sure? I have one off a /6 and one off a V-8, they look the same to me besides the bigger dual belt pulley on the 8. Please confirm.

Golden Scamp- as much as I like the original RV compressors for being virtually indestructible you may indeed find it easier to go with a newer Sanden compressor and custom made lines in making things fit.

340doc- Chrysler did indeed make two displacement sizes of RV type compressors. You will find this listed in the parts books. The RV was something like 9.5 cu. in. displacement and the RV-2 was something like 10.5. They look the same externally and use the same basic castings but internally there are parts differences. That being said once the aftermarket rebuilders got a hold of things they freely interchanged both types and refer to them all as RV-2's. Originally the smaller compressors went on /6's.

-
Back