Can I cut side window glass?

-
Cut it with a sandblaster.
Tape the window, and keep making passes over the cut line.
Done it a bunch of times when chopping a top on old hot rods.

So what's different about auto tempered glass?I had a guy come out years ago and measure my front door glass after I kicked a rock up with the mower and shattered it. He brought a sheet of tempered glass out CUT IT TO FIT right in front of us and installed it. Said "TEMPERED" right on it. He used a glass cutter, not a grinder.
A hammer will find out. :) Sharp shards not tempered, little chunks tempered, bounce back is plastic.

A hammer will find out. :) Sharp shards not tempered, little chunks tempered, bounce back is plastic.

When it broke, it was in fifty million pieces. I know what tempered glass looks like, especially when it's stamped TEMPERED. Tempered glass is hardened so that it will shatter easily so that occupants can escape in an accident. Are you sure we're confusing tempered glass with safety glass? You cannot cut safety glass.

When it broke, it was in fifty million pieces. I know what tempered glass looks like, especially when it's stamped TEMPERED. Tempered glass is hardened so that it will shatter easily so that occupants can escape in an accident. Are you sure we're confusing tempered glass with safety glass? You cannot cut safety glass.
The best I know they are the same thing. I do not understand how the glass marked tempered was cut with a cutter.

The best I know they are the same thing. I do not understand how the glass marked tempered was cut with a cutter.

No sir they are not. Safety glass is the glass the windshield is made from. Two layers of glass with a thin layer of plastic on between. That is safety glass. It's made to break as non violently as possible so that most of the broken glass sticks to the laminate between the two sheets of glass. It also helps keep occupants inside the car by giving instead of just shattering. Safety glass and tempered glass are two completely different things. But Safety glass CAN certainly be cut. We've had it done before where I work. Since no one makes custom curved glass, when we chop a top, we have to choose a glass that is close to the curve we will end up with and cut it to fit. Matt's had it done a lot. We use Billy's Mobile Glass out of Macon.

Safety glass can be cut. Tempered glass can not be cut with conventional tools. I can see cutting tempered glass with the abrasive method. Either can be ground.

Notquite, RustyRatRod.

Safety glass is glass that breaks in a safer manner than plain glass, which splinters into jagged, dangerous shards.

Tempered glass and laminated glass are two kinds of safety glass.

On most cars, including all A-bodies, tempered glass is used for all windows except the windshield. The windshield is made of laminated glass for a couple of safety reasons—one of which RustyRatRod already described; the glass adheres to the butyrate interliner so shards don't go everywhere. The other reason is that if the glass layers will crack (or get a bullseye knocked out of them, etc), the rest of the windshield remains optically clear. A piece of tempered glass, struck or cracked anywhere (or cut, for that matter), immediately crumbles into roughly popcorn-sized granules—no see-thru possible, so that would be dangerous in a windshield application.

Laminated glass can be cut. Tempered glass can't.

This is what Billy used to cut our door glass.

No sir they are not. Safety glass is the glass the windshield is made from. Two layers of glass with a thin layer of plastic on between. That is safety glass. It's made to break as non violently as possible so that most of the broken glass sticks to the laminate between the two sheets of glass. It also helps keep occupants inside the car by giving instead of just shattering. Safety glass and tempered glass are two completely different things. But Safety glass CAN certainly be cut. We've had it done before where I work. Since no one makes custom curved glass, when we chop a top, we have to choose a glass that is close to the curve we will end up with and cut it to fit. Matt's had it done a lot. We use Billy's Mobile Glass out of Macon.
Saftey glass is not made to break non violently. It's shards are way more lethal than tempered glass. The safety comes from the layer in between the two layers as you described. Broken tempered glass is WAY less dangerous than Safety glass. Thats why they used tempered glass in doors and close to the floor windows. It turns into 50 million harmless shards.

Still working the electrical and rear window issues... anybody know if the 62 Valiant had tempered glass? The body shop "adjusted" the post position in the restoration and my window is too big now...I want to know if I can have the side cut 1/2"?
Yup. Billy can Ha. Now that I think about it and have seen RRR video. A fiber cut off wheel and some water might geterdone.

I worked 30 years in the McGraw Glass plant (Chrysler pant in Detroit Michigan) making all types of glass. I made prototype viper glass in 89 for the first viper (which looked even more wicked than the production one did) you Can't cut temped glass. you CAN Grind a bit (nope not 1/2" since it would heat up the glass too much and it would fracture anyway) Sandblasting style cutting might work for a while as one member stated but it drastically weakens the glass and it's just a sharp jostle away from an explosion. It works better on a fixed piece of glass encased in rubber to minimize shock, laminated glass can be cut all day long as long as you cut both sides. Tempered glass is just like a waterbaloon, prick the outside and the glass wants out! If you really want to mess with people get a backlight(rear window) that's curved pretty goo like the minvans and place it just like you would look through it from the outside on the ground(rubber mat please) then have the biggest person you can find jump on it. I usually bet them 100.00 that if they break i the money is theirs, never had to pay any money out even if they DID jump on the glass . It does launch them a ways up and out if they put all their weight into it though so we always had a couple big guys there to catch em.

Saftey glass is not made to break non violently. It's shards are way more lethal than tempered glass. The safety comes from the layer in between the two layers as you described. Broken tempered glass is WAY less dangerous than Safety glass. Thats why they used tempered glass in doors and close to the floor windows. It turns into 50 million harmless shards.
umm that's laminated glass. I've done all the tricks from Flat glass to finished product for chryslers. Cutting them, grinding them, drilling holes and even making prototypes for different years ie viper in 89, all generations of the minivan and dodge ram from 1968 to 2003 and service runs for the venerable 64-6 barracuda (...ok I hated those) used mainly in front windshields(not counting my old chevy flat side glass and a few other oldies) not commonly called safety glass in the auto industry, cause it ain't.

umm that's laminated glass. I've done all the tricks from Flat glass to finished product for chryslers. Cutting them, grinding them, drilling holes and even making prototypes for different years ie viper in 89, all generations of the minivan and dodge ram from 1968 to 2003 and service runs for the venerable 64-6 barracuda (...ok I hated those) used mainly in front windshields(not counting my old chevy flat side glass and a few other oldies) not commonly called safety glass in the auto industry, cause it ain't.
Sooo you can drill tempered glass but you can't cut it. GOT IT.

There are several kinds of safety glass. "Safety glass" is an umbrella term that encompasses many different types. Did you read the article?

There are several kinds of safety glass. "Safety glass" is an umbrella term that encompasses many different types. Did you read the article?
I was typing when you posted that. I was narrow minded for sure.

I was typing when you posted that. I was narrow minded for sure.

All I posted was what I SAW. Billy does that stuff all the time. I reckon if tellin yall what I saw makes me a liar, then color me one. You already have.

Rusty,
Not my intent in any way. My concern is safety, marked tempered, then guy cutting without breaking suggests glass is likeky not tempered. That does not involve lie by you.

Nothing but love for you, hope we are friends. Hope to meet up with you someday and see your car.

All I posted was what I SAW. Billy does that stuff all the time. I reckon if tellin yall what I saw makes me a liar, then color me one. You already have.
Rusty,
Not my intent in any way. My concern is safety, marked tempered, then guy cutting without breaking suggests glass is likeky not tempered. That does not involve lie by you.

Nothing but love for you, hope we are friends. Hope to meet up with you someday and see your car.
This thread needs to hit the reset button. LOL

Rusty,

I understand. The lie deal was by PM but I misunderstood it. It was a joke and kinda funny. This is tempered in our door. It's 1/8" tempered glass. To my knowledge, they do not make 1/8 laminated. The old was tempered and this is too. They were both marked as such. I don't know anything about it. All I know is he had the machine and cut the glass to fit in like 5 minutes and bam it was installed.

-
Back