Can I cut side window glass?

-
SO I am trying both - I'll let you all know how it turns out...Probably end up with a new flat glass window...

Sooo you can drill tempered glass but you can't cut it. GOT IT.
NO, nope , not going to happen. No drilling of tempered glass. you can drill ANY glass before it's tempered ,which is what I used to do at chryslers Glass plant. 90% of my work has been working with the complete process from flat glass to cut,seamed(ground the edge to make it not sharp and cut you open) and drilled glass, the moved it into the print room to be printed if a windshield or backlight (the black band and silver grid for heated backights.) to setting up the furnace to run for the bending and quenching operation right out to the gauging system and umloader. The lines I ran were about 1/4 mile long with 2 people (a loader and a hilo driver to move the full racks) at each end and me in the middle running everything(well along with 20 robots I had to program, but they don't count) Once it is tempered think of it as a huge balloon just waiting for a sharp corner to come along and pop it (tempering in glass technologies means that when it's quenched in High pressure air the OUTSIDE shrink faster than the inside and "freezes" into that shape with the INSIDE always wanting out.) Once it tempered you might be able to grind a chipped edge as I have with a wet diamond file, really slow. 9 good tries and 1 a spectacular failure is how it usually goes, Unless you really need that part then it breaks right away.

There are several kinds of safety glass. "Safety glass" is an umbrella term that encompasses many different types. Did you read the article?

Call it whatever you like but it's wrong in the Auto industry. It's either 1. laminated or 2. it's tempered in the auto industry . those are the 2 processes that the auto industry uses. that's it no other as of 2007 when I retired fully.

Now in the Housing industry there IS a "safety glass" but it's just faster annealed (cooling) glass that is safer to work around and you CAN cut,drill,grind on that ......Heat-strengthened glass is made by heating annealed glass uniformly, then cooling it at a slow rate. The rate of cooling directly affects the strength of glass. The regular process of cooling – or annealing – float glass results in a slow rate. Stronger glass can be produced by changing the rate of cooling. Heat-strengthened glass is about twice as strong as regular annealed glass of the same size and thickness.

I read the article. (problem is I was working in the glass industry for over 30 years(1968-2007) and saw that Misconception everywhere EXCEPT in the Automotive glass industry) it's in the safety industry, it's in the Architectural Industry it's in the insurance industry also even common glass repair shops like safeguard use it, it's an automotive buzz word making you feel good. But if you work in the auto glass industry it a stenciled label put on by the designers like safeguard safety glass,PPG glass(not a safety glass, but tempered no matter what the labeling says) . The only label that matter to the glass guy(oh and the safety DOT guys and to your body in case of an accident ) is the A,S or M codes and the numbers or the European E in a circle (they have a tighter break pattern then the USA, that's it you could label it "dog doo Scooby Doo glass" and it'd still have to have the A,S- M codes as in A1 or AS1 or M60-m69 AND still pass inspection by the DOT. We ran the neon side glass for a year with the reversed lettering since that is the way the engineers designed the label before someone read the complaint about it being backwards and had a new program made for the lasers (idiot engineers thought the laser was on the bottom firing UP towards the glass when it was on top firing down.

-
Back