Can I fit a 345/50-14 tire on a stock 71 duster?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
Hey guys

I need some new tires on the duster and I'm looking at a set of mickey thompson n50s
According to thier website, this is a 27 inch tire with a section with of 13.2 inches

Any chance this would fit on a 71 duster with stock suspension ?

I doubt it I have 275/60/15's nitto dr on my demon with the springs moved in 3/4" and its close. Unless you do the stink bug look and have reverse offset rims maybe

I put N-50s on my 74 DartSport back in 1979ish....15 inch Cragars, and Gabriel Hi-Jackers airshocks(I was young). They were not in the wells, but rather under the car;sorta,mostly. Those same tires,with different wheels, fit on my 69 Barracuda, with the same result.

I know it is possible to install 325/50-15DRs into stock 68Barracuda tubs, howbeit,not with out supporting works; including a narrowed rear and springs moved in 3/4",and custom bs wheels. IIRC my 325s on 10 inch rims were somewhere between 13.2 to 13.5 section or 335 to 343mm

Mhhh...I DO have airshock on there (courtesy of the previous owner)
So it might be fun for the purpose of terrorizing local imports

here is a 1970 duster, M+H N50-15 bias tires, 28" tall, 13" sidewall, 11" tread on 12" wide wheels, springs in to frame

Attachments

• racecar rear.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 198
thanks AJ, could use a paint job, the old $300 job from 1982 is not what it used to be. and even with the 12" wide centerlines to get a flat footprint we only run 25 psi. superstock springs and 15X7 front wheels

12" wide wheels, 7.25 backspace, housing cut 2" per side, tubs in to frame, 4.5" bolt pattern

12" wide wheels, 7.25 backspace, housing cut 2" per side, tubs in to frame, 4.5" bolt pattern

Thanks
How would this work out with what I have to work with, stock housing and (considering) 10 inch rims
In order to fit on the spot as yours, looking from the fender, the stock housing would need 2 inches less of backspacing, and the 2 inch narrower rim would deduct one more inch, so would it be safe to say that a 4.25 backspacing on a 10 inch rims would sit in the same place?

I think you missed it by that much.
Since your stock rear house sticks out an extra two inches,per side, you will need the same extra 2 on the backspace, and then subtract 1 inch for the narrower rims, so by my math, you would need 8.25bs. But wait.
You still have to move the springs.
And, notice he said, to get the tread flat on twelves, he is running 25psi, Bias plys are not like radials. You can run 295 radials on 10s@ 25psi, but if you try to run those Ns on 10s@25, the edges will lift off the road. If you run less than 25, it starts to corner like crap. The body rolls over until the sidewalls, and say "no more". Then the inboard treads are flat to the road, while the outboard treads are lifted up. And maybe the sidewalls get into trouble with the body or the springs. So I have been running 24psi for 10 or more years, in the 295Radials,on tens.I have gotten used to the way it corners, and it hooks ok @24 and the tire-wear is minimal. I tried running a little less, but went back to 24 pretty much right away.
I'm kinda thinking the Ns absolutely need 12s

-
Back