Can I ID a cam without dissasembling the engine?

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
I recently accquired a 360 with unknown internals. J heads. I do know It's got a "wild" Lunati cam in it. Could I set a dial indicator on the push rod side of the rocker arm just to get an idea of the valve lift? I'd rather not take the engine apart since it runs strong and should swap nicely into my waiting 73' Duster.

If it has solid lifters, yes, if hydraulic, I do not think so as the oil pressure is what "pumps up" the lifter and you may not be able to get an acurate read, but I may be mistaken on that so double check with an engine shop or maybe someone else will step up and voice their thoughts.

I have checked valve lift off the pushrod (rocker arms removed) using a magnetic dial indicator. Some people will say a hydraulic lifter will compress, but my experience has been that a dial indicator will not compress the lifter bore. Your only other option is to take off the intake and insert a solid lifter or take a measurement off the edge off the hydraulic lifter. Don't forget to multiply by 1.5 to get your total valve lift.

I did an a cam with the engine assembled, just swaped out 2 Hyd. Lifters for solid on and rotated the engine with a degree wheel and indicater.

-
Back