Can I just not connect my amp gauge?

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1968 Barracuda

The terminals on the back of the gauge cluster are VERY rusted and would probably break if I tried to use them....plus I've heard the amp gauge should not be used anyway.

I have a set of 3 aftermarket gauges I'm going to use that are oil, temperature, and voltage.

Is it OK to just not connect the amp gauge at all?

Jeff

It's there to indicate whether or not you have a charging problem. You can eliminate it, but I highly recommend installing a voltage gauge for this purpose.

The ammeter was/is used to monitor all the amperage that goes through the car's wiring system. Yes, it is an antiquated design and we would all be better served had Mopar designed the system to monitor voltage instead.

Regardless, if you don't use the gauge, it's best to do the ammeter bypass. All the current in the car will still be going through the wires whether the terminals are connected or not. Not a good idea.

Search here for "Mad Electrical ammeter bypass", you'll see how to do it, the operation is relatively easy to perform. You will have a somewhat more reliable and robust electrical system when it's complete because you remove the potential trouble spots, mainly the bulkhead connections and the ammeter itself which is prone to burning up when there are unwanted resistance issues elsewhere in the circuit.

I'm sure Del will chime in soon enough, perhaps he will corroborate what I said.

It's there to indicate whether or not you have a charging problem. You can eliminate it, but I highly recommend installing a voltage gauge for this purpose.

Yes...as mentioned, I'll be using a voltage gauge instead. ...
Just wondering if it's OK to not connect the amp gauge all together. ...

Jeff

The short answer is "sort of"

Please read the MAD article. There is more to the potential problems than just the ammeter.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Also, some of us have converted our ammeters to voltmeters:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=119480

The above is three pages and covers several different cluster styles, so read it all. Unfortunately the original Sunpro gauge does not seem to be available anymore

Hmmm...a lot to think about!

Thanks!

Connect the two wires together, cover it and move on.

If you do a wire around solution, that will relieve the bulkhead of the charging load.

Call me if you want to talk about some options.

Rob

Yes, exactly what Crackedback states. You can remove the amp gauge entirely. It's as simple as bolting the two terminal ends together and wrapping them in electrical tape. As eluded to by others here, there is a significant issue with the bulkhead connectors on Mopars. The connections can deteriorate which leads to increased resistance and potential overheating and fire among other issues.

You should consider cleaning the connectors up and packing those connections with dielectric grease part of some of the first maintenance you should do on an old Mopar anyway!

Using relays to power headlights and any other high amperage drawing accessory inside the cabin of the car and using an additional appropriately-sized, fused cable to bring power from the alternator directly to the starter relay/+ battery terminal goes a long way towards reducing the current flowing through the bulkhead connections.

It's not a complicated preventative measure once you understand how the current flows in the stock configuration versus the modified configuration.

Regarding the monitoring of your charging system. You don't need any gauges for it. You will know when you have a problem when your car won't start or is slow to crank over. Carry a set of jumper cables if you must, or call a towing service for a jump if your system ever fails. I figure if my system isn't charging by the time I notice the gauge, I'll be in the same boat anyway. Most likely, the car will begin to crank slowly before it goes completely dead anyway. At that point, I'll repair what ever went out in the first place.

Yes, exactly what Crackedback states. You can remove the amp gauge entirely. It's as simple as bolting the two terminal ends together and wrapping them in electrical tape. As eluded to by others here, there is a significant issue with the bulkhead connectors on Mopars. The connections can deteriorate which leads to increased resistance and potential overheating and fire among other issues.

You should consider cleaning the connectors up and packing those connections with dielectric grease part of some of the first maintenance you should do on an old Mopar anyway!

Using relays to power headlights and any other high amperage drawing accessory inside the cabin of the car and using an additional appropriately-sized, fused cable to bring power from the alternator directly to the starter relay/+ battery terminal goes a long way towards reducing the current flowing through the bulkhead connections.

It's not a complicated preventative measure once you understand how the current flows in the stock configuration versus the modified configuration.

Regarding the monitoring of your charging system. You don't need any gauges for it. You will know when you have a problem when your car won't start or is slow to crank over. Carry a set of jumper cables if you must, or call a towing service for a jump if your system ever fails. I figure if my system isn't charging by the time I notice the gauge, I'll be in the same boat anyway. Most likely, the car will begin to crank slowly before it goes completely dead anyway. At that point, I'll repair what ever went out in the first place.

Say, WHUT?

Connect the two wires together, cover it and move on.

If you do a wire around solution, that will relieve the bulkhead of the charging load.

Call me if you want to talk about some options.

Rob

Can you PM me your number again? I went through my messages and can't find it. ....

I have a brand new dash harness and a brand new engine/forward light harness and the crackedback headlight relay kit.....

Probably gonna connect and tape the wires.....

Jeff

-
Back