Can I lift the rear with shackles?

-
My cousin had 67 sport fury. To gain some height he flipped the Axel over and bolted it under the springs(like a pickup) The bumper was above my waist. But the kicker was he had one forward gear and three reverses!! No ****! My Dad warned us, we thought he was full of it! When that thing shifted in reverse I pissed my pants laughing!

Did you know I built my own bridge in the back yard?

In 1973, would it have been "boss", "groovy", "cool", or "bitchin'"?!!!!!
it was 1983, i bought it for $375 in two payments at a repo lot two blocks from my high school.
And it was "TOTALLY RAD !!" Lol !!

it was 1983, i bought it for $375 in two payments at a repo lot two blocks from my high school.
And it was "TOTALLY RAD !!" Lol !!

J par..... wouldn't a set of shackles kind of fit the looks of your ride????? Dual Quad, 4- speed, traction bars and spring shackles.... hey, I like it !:toothy1:

My cousin had 67 sport fury. To gain some height he flipped the Axel over and bolted it under the springs(like a pickup) The bumper was above my waist. But the kicker was he had one forward gear and three reverses!! No ****! My Dad warned us, we thought he was full of it! When that thing shifted in reverse I pissed my pants laughing!

funny how those things have a way of happening
(best part is, im right in between, young enough to remember and laugh at the times my dad warned me and old enough to laugh when I warn my son and he doesn't listen)

SS Springs don't count. That's different. You did turn your front hangers over. Right? Of course that statement alone is thought provoking. Nobody has ever designed, patented and fabricated an adjustable front hanger that could and would adjust the height of the back end. Here's someones chance to get rich.
I have a 74 Dart Custom 4 door. Just put new leafs on it and it STILL rides much lower than expected. I would LIKE to get about 2 more inches front & rear to get some slightly larger wheels. NOBODY around here carries 14" tires so I'd like to go to 16" rims with common sized tire. I'm not into performance or show, just a daily driver that handles well. Thinking I need to raise things a couple inches to accommodate the larger wheels. I understand the physics behind the longer shackle bad idea. Anybody ever heard of a 2" longer front hanger? Also, any advice on raising the front a couple inches, too?

they make them, but you don't want to use them to raise the rear. because they will weaken the springs. there were alot of cars running around in the 70's with saggy rears as a result, including my barracuda.
they "will" ruin ur springs in time , if their very long ! They aren`t good for handling either.

they "will" ruin ur springs in time , if their very long ! They aren`t good for handling either.

I don't want anything "very long" just an inch or two. What about "spring helpers", those bolt on things that bend 'em up a bit? Just looking to get a couple inches more ground clearance front & rear. You'd understand if you saw where I live.

Add a leaf? Find a reputable spring shop and discuss it with them.

Shackles are for Chevys. Mopar geometry dictates that the spring will just flatten out.

This is correct in that the stock springs were designed to have little or no camber under light loads for better handling.
I have page 169 of the MOPAR chassis manual in front of me by Larry Shepherd which states this.
I have replaced E body rear springs with MP springs with no effect.
The springs were still flat as they should be.
Lesson learned.
SS springs are for a different purpose like you said, I think.
If the rear of the car is made stiffer it will increase overseer which is undesirable .
Conversely the front end can be made stiffer to increase understeer which is desirable in a street application..
I have replaced several cars with junk yard factory LC arms and factory sway bars for this purpose.
The handling was improved.
Somewhere I remember reading that only AAR and TAs came with arched springs for exhaust clearance. But I can't be sure of that at this time.
I have added springs from junk yard M bodies with good results.
Not to lift but to decrease travel under load.

-
Back