Can I use a Magnum pan gasket on a Magnum engine with a LA pan.

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey guys I had a Magnum Pan gasket a long time ago and I seem to remember the rear end is a lot narrower than the LA rear gasket. Can I use the Magnum pan gasket with an LA sump.
if anyone has a Magnum pan gasket available can they please tell me the thickness of the rear section on the Magnum gasket.

Yes but beware of the front and rear seal areas that need attention. You’ll see what I mean when you start to put it together. There was a thread on this about a month or so ago.

Yes but beware of the front and rear seal areas that need attention. You’ll see what I mean when you start to put it together. There was a thread on this about a month or so ago.
Thanks do you know where I can find this thread in what form

Thanks do you know where I can find this thread in what form

There are 2 notches on the from of the LA oil pan that either need to be hammered flat, filled with a silicon sealant or have the gasket cut and replaced with the front portion of an LA gasket.

Oil Pan Gaskets (Medium).JPG

Oil Pan pic (Medium).JPG

There are 2 notches on the from of the LA oil pan that either need to be hammered flat, filled with a silicon sealant or have the gasket cut and replaced with the front portion of an LA gasket.

View attachment 1715384203

View attachment 1715384204
Thanks heaps for the pics. They have helped alot. Is the rear part of the gasket similar size to each other. No modifications needed down the back?

Thanks heaps for the pics. They have helped alot. Is the rear part of the gasket similar size to each other. No modifications needed down the back?

Rear works as is. I still used Permatex ultra seal to seal all the corners.

I took a hammer and massaged that front seal notch out flush like the magnum pan, then used silicone in the corners for added assurance. 3+ years later and no issues

I had issues with mine sealing on the back, the Magnum seal wanted to sit right where the stamped lip goes around the rear of the pan so I couldn't get it to seal right and now have a constant small oil leak. When I install my Kevko pan I might just cut the front and rear parts off the Magnum seal and put 360 LA seals on the front and back instead. I don't think the front part will be reusable anyway because of the RTV I put on there to seal up the corners. Just something to watch out for...

-
Back