Can it be done?

-
This is a complete transmission swap from a 904 or 727 to a500 or a518. They are selling the kit to make the newer a500 or a518 work right in a non computer car. I don't think there is any way to turn a 904 or 727 into overdrive witha few simple steps. If there was we would all be driving around with it. :):)

p.s. also all the work is setting up the the newer tranny in the tunnel.

This is a complete transmission swap from a 904 or 727 to a500 or a518. They are selling the kit to make the newer a500 or a518 work right in a non computer car. I don't think there is any way to turn a 904 or 727 into overdrive witha few simple steps. If there was we would all be driving around with it. :):)

p.s. also all the work is setting up the the newer tranny in the tunnel.

What he said , you can't turn a 727 or a 904 into an OD trans unless you bolt a gearvendors to the back of it , that link is as he said , how to put a 500 or 518 into the early mopars , CUTTING is required .

are you sure? cuz down lower on that page they have a part with this description:

PATC 727 to 518 Conversion Kit
#727518. With these four parts you can convert your 727 transmission to a 518 overdrive transmission with locking torque converter. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lets say you drive an average of 400 highway miles per week, at that rate you could save as much as $1000.00 per year on gas, not to mention the 31% reduction in RPM. Your new 518 will have automatic shifts into overdrive and lock-up, no toggle switch needed. Now with adjustable vacuum switch. The instructions are at the bottom of this page. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](11-25-06. I just saw this kit on the Internet by the copy cat competition for $1654.00.) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]sounds like a conversion, since thats what it says. but maybe im just not reading it how i think i am?85.0[/FONT]​

are you sure? cuz down lower on that page they have a part with this description:

PATC 727 to 518 Conversion Kit
#727518. With these four parts you can convert your 727 transmission to a 518 overdrive transmission with locking torque converter. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lets say you drive an average of 400 highway miles per week, at that rate you could save as much as $1000.00 per year on gas, not to mention the 31% reduction in RPM. Your new 518 will have automatic shifts into overdrive and lock-up, no toggle switch needed. Now with adjustable vacuum switch. The instructions are at the bottom of this page. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](11-25-06. I just saw this kit on the Internet by the copy cat competition for $1654.00.) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]sounds like a conversion, since thats what it says. but maybe im just not reading it how i think i am?85.0[/FONT]​

Am I sure ? ABSOLUTELY . There is a picture of the 2 trans side by side on that page , look at them , no way you can do it without sawing the 2 cases apart and welding the back of the 518 to the front of the 727 and there ius absoultely no reason to do that , with a smallblock , because you end up with the 518 case anyway except now it's two halves welded together.

Yes , you are reading it wrong , wishful thinking on your part. They are selling you the parts you need to INSTALL a 518 where your 727 was NOT converting a 727 to a 518 , that can not be done .

Edit , I just read the thing you are mentioning here , all they are selling you is the parts in that picture next to what you posted above , those are the parts you need to make a 518 work properly as OD and the lockup convertor are both actuated by solenoids inside the trans .

You need to go back and READ the ENTIRE page that you linked and get out of your mind that it's turning a 727 into a 518 , that page is all about REPLACING a 727 with a 518 .

Am I sure ? ABSOLUTELY . There is a picture of the 2 trans side by side on that page , look at them , no way you can do it without sawing the 2 cases apart and welding the back of the 518 to the front of the 727 and there ius absoultely no reason to do that , with a smallblock , because you end up with the 518 case anyway except now it's two halves welded together.

Yes , you are reading it wrong , wishful thinking on your part. They are selling you the parts you need to INSTALL a 518 where your 727 was NOT converting a 727 to a 518 , that can not be done .

well damnit they should rewrite that then! haha o well i can dream of o/d, cant i? i hate the premise of having to hit a button for o/d like the gear vendors $3k part....just want it to kick in automatically like it would on a regular new car

The parts pictured for that kit (pressure switches, throttle switch and a vacuum tee) are what is required to get the 500/518 to shift to OD and lock up automatically, not convert a 727 to a 518, similar to what the text in the beginning of the link references doing. I think they worded it incorrectly, should have been more like "allows you to install a 518 into your 727 equiped car and still have it shift automatically".

The guys are right. The A518 may look like a 727 but the rear part of the case is actually quite different so there's no possible way to convert a 727 to a 518.

:eek:ly C?@! You guys are awesome. I just wish there was some way to forward the info to my E-mail:prayer: does anyone have pics of the required mods for the A 500 series transmissions

:eek:ly C?@! You guys are awesome. I just wish there was some way to forward the info to my E-mail:prayer: does anyone have pics of the required mods for the A 500 series transmissions

The Mopar Action tech special CD (available on eBay) covers ALL the points req'd.

......and the worst part is you have to chop the hell out of the crossmember/ floor to get one in

-
Back