Can it be fixed?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am on the trail of a 340 block that has on of the lifter bores broken. Can it be welded and bushed in any way to make it usable? No, I have no idea how it got broken but there is a chunk of it gone.

Jack

Post a picture of her Jack but I'd say that it there is still 75% remaining of the original casting you should be able to sleeve it. Also check carefully for any other cracks especially at the bottom of the bore.

I ran a 383HP for ten years with a broken lifter valley . Block was fixed by a good machine shop . Still good for 410 HP . Still in the garage waiting on another car to go in . It outlasted my Charger !!

Valve train bind and a bent pushrod is most likely what broke it.
Yes they can be sleeved and repaired if ther is enough material to hold a sleeve.
Average cost would be about $100-200 for the repair.
I would not pay that much for a block that needs repaired, unless you can get it dirt cheap.

Thanks guy's. I kind of thought it could be fixed, but, is it really worth it seeing as I am thinking of using the block to build a blower engine. The fact that it broke, may have caused other damage in the valley area, and a high HP and TQ application will probably mean I will pass on it.

Jack

good choice for what you need one for

Don't forget once it is sleeved, it will also have to be cross drilled through the oil galley so the oil can pass through it. Otherwise it will cut off the oil passage from that lifter and the rest of the lifters after it in the direction of the oil flow which will starve the lifters of oil from that point on and possible the oil feed to the rocker arms also.

-
Back