Can painted carb mounting surface cause a vacuum leak?

-

Kevin74

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Please pardon the rookie question. Can paint on the carb mounting surface of the intake manifold cause a vacuum leak? Should this surface just be bare metal?

Thanks,
Kevin

It shouldn't be painted but it shouldn't cause a leak. The gasket does the sealing.

It shouldn't be painted but it shouldn't cause a leak. The gasket does the sealing.
Thanks, Mike!
From reading previous posts, I think I’m following in your footsteps this morning. I’m installing an Edelbrock 1406 on a stock 1966 273 Commando manifold. I am installing a 1/2 inch spacer so the secondaries won’t bind on the manifold. I think maybe you did a similar project.
Your great advice is always appreciated!

Thanks, Mike!
From reading previous posts, I think I’m following in your footsteps this morning. I’m installing an Edelbrock 1406 on a stock 1966 273 Commando manifold. I am installing a 1/2 inch spacer so the secondaries won’t bind on the manifold. I think maybe you did a similar project.
Your great advice is always appreciated!
Yep I did. My original carb worked but it was in pretty sad shape. A adapter works. I had the secondary holes milled out when the intake was at the machine shop. Thanks for the kudos.

Yes the gas will eat the paint after a time and you will get a leak. I used to coat 2 stroke motorcycle head gaskets with high temp paint and it worked great until they started with the ethanol .once that crap was put into gas that old school trick no longer was an option. I would think the same would hold true for the surface under the carb.

-
Back