Can rallye dash tach work with electronic ignition?

-

Alan H.

Reaction score
I have a '70 Duster 340 with rallye dash but tach is not working.
I think the car was converted to electronic ignition at some point, and wonder if that is the reason the tach won't function? Previous owner installed tach under dash in front of shift lever.
He must have done that for a reason.

I think the car was converted to electronic ignition at some point, and wonder if that is the reason the tach won't function? Previous owner installed tach under dash in front of shift lever.

Tachs usually run off the coil, so ignition type doesn't usually matter.
It was probably just easier and cheaper to put another one in than fix the OE.

call redline gauges in c
Redline Gauges in California
They all very good at questions like this I'am using there factory aftermarket tach in mine with electronic ignition works great.Was having trouble at first because i was using the wrong ohm coil

[QUOTE="ricks70dart, post: 1971499683, member: 19253"

They all very good at questions like this I'am using there factory aftermarket tach in mine with electronic ignition works great.Was having trouble at first because i was using the wrong ohm coil[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="ricks70dart, post: 1971499683, member: 19253"

They all very good at questions like this I'am using there factory aftermarket tach in mine with electronic ignition works great.Was having trouble at first because i was using the wrong ohm coil
[/QUOTE]

DSC03533.JPG

I doubt there are a dozen of these OEM tachs still living virgins today. Most of them now have a aftermarket replacement circuit board installed, even where OEM point ignition is still used.
The new boards became available about 10 years ago and they too had problems, some percentage of failures. How much of that is relative to aftermarket ignition, blaster coils and such is any ones guess. Improvements to the replacement boards have been made. So...
Yes the OEM tach can live again. Please note, It will still be a bit sluggish in response and limited to 6K just as it always was.

Its a chore to get out so be careful. While out upgrade the board to an electronic one. We did on dads 67 with electronic ignition.

The tach connects to the coil (- ) terminal. Have you verified that connection to tach ? It could be that the wiring thru bulkhead connector is incomplete. There are factory service manuals available at mymopar.com that may help follow the necessary connections.

-
Back