Can someone measure and tell me the length of stock 360 A body oil dipstick and tube please

-

4mulas

Fixem'up
Reaction score
looking for measurements please of Installed (how much is sticking out of block) stock oil dipstick tube for a 318/360 in an A body. The one in my car is around 9.75” and it may be wrong. My dip stick is Around 21 something inches.

From The fully seated part of the dipstick the full mark is 19.5” down and the add mark is 20” down.

looking for some know accurate examples please

Yeah it seems to be the wrong tube. I measured 11" exactly outside the block for the tube, about 21-1/4" inside the tube for the stick. Didn't measure to the full and add marks though.

Yeah it seems to be the wrong tube. I measured 11" exactly outside the block for the tube, about 21-1/4" inside the tube for the stick. Didn't measure to the full and add marks though.
This is really appreciate, if you have a chance and are able and willing could you please measure distance down from the seated position on the stick to the full and add marks? and/or the distance up from the bottom for the same. Ideally from the top down. Or both

thanks!

I can measure a MP chrome stick if you wish. It’ll take all of about 2 minutes.

This is really appreciate, if you have a chance and are able and willing could you please measure distance down from the seated position on the stick to the full and add marks? and/or the distance up from the bottom for the same. Ideally from the top down. Or both

thanks!
Sure. The stick and tube are factory original from a 79 360. 392 pan IIRC.

Tube length is 12-1/16 in length.
Add line is 1-1/16
Full line is 1-9/16
Stick is pictured below, measuring done on “Bauer” tape measure.
AFE46EBA-E035-458B-AC32-7A60710CAFA9.jpeg

Sure. The stick and tube are factory original from a 79 360. 392 pan IIRC.
Great, looking forward to it. I just measured my actual stick which I hadn’t previously done, and it is 21 3/16” (close enough to 21.25")

I’m starting to get to the bottom of this. I’m beginning to think they may have either cut down the tube to lower the oil level to prevent windage (racer free horsepower thing) or have the wrong tube

Great, looking forward to it. I just measured my actual stick which I hadn’t previously done, and it is 21 3/16” (close enough to 21.25")

I’m starting to get to the bottom of this. I’m beginning to think they may have either cut down the tube to lower the oil level to prevent windage (racer free horsepower thing) or have the wrong tube
I just posted in your other thread. In a quick recap for others that didn’t see that…..

An oil pan listed as 8 quart capacity doesn’t mean you should fill it with 8 quarts. The dip stick reads accurately to where the max amount of oil should be filled to as this is the height the factory seems filled and the maximum oil that should be in the pan.

Less oil level height will actually produce more HP & live longer.

Tube length is 12-1/16 in length.
Add line is 1-1/16
Full line is 1-9/16
Stick is pictured below, measuring done on “Bauer” tape measure.
View attachment 1716070231
Thx. When you are measuring the tube are you only measuring the portion that protrudes from the block? And not including the portion that presses in.
thank you. Our stick dimensions are very close. I’m at 21 3/16” overall and 1 1/8“ to add and 1 5/8” to full up

Full length of the tube, end to end, the length to the top of the notch is 11-1/1/6 at the point on the tube as the tube bends away from the tape measure, on top of the bulge, not the bottom of the bulge. The bottom of the bulge would still be visible when installed.

I have the same measurements on the stick, 1-1/8 to add and full is 1/2 above that.

I'm 99.9% sure when I measured my tube it was from the top down to the bulge where it meets the block.

Looks like it's the same as rumblefish measured, given tolerances from using a tape rule.

True, we are not sitting next to each other. LOL! Minor variations are sure to appear.

thanks!
If the dipstick is good and worth a **** all you should need to do is put five quarts of oil in the engine... put the tube on , in with the dipstick and see how short it is from the full mark/line of dipstick and then pull the tube and cut that amount off the top..deburr/clean it .. and put it back together.

@rumblefish360 and @Uncle Bob thank you both very much. This has been very productive.

my stick measurements are The same as bob’s and only a 1/16 different than Rumblefish’s which is negligible. My tube how ever is very close 9 7/8” above the bugle. call it 10“ which is an inch shorter than both yours. This confirms my suspicions that I do have room for another quart both by our measurement and me measuring and visually inspecting where the oil should be at right now by simple math.

I will, however, try it now at 6 ish and see how it is but will likely add one more quart as they should be little to no chance of interference windage etc……

Thanks Both!

5A911074-D389-4B15-837D-73C10DD6007C.jpeg

CD1F1E7A-94C1-421E-8751-2684C7E36186.jpeg

If the dipstick is good and worth a **** all you should need to do is put five quarts of oil in the engine... put the tube on , in with the dipstick and see how short it is from the full mark/line of dipstick and then pull the tube and cut that amount off the top..deburr/clean it .. and put it back together.
The problem is in the opposite direction. Don’t need to shorten the tube trust Me. It Is a deep sump 8 quart pan. Starting to look like the magic number will end up being 7 quarts. And the stick is ‘worth a ****’. Looks like they had the wrong tube somehow.

It’s a bit of a bummer that the pan is installed already. Otherwise I’d say, before installation, figure out how low the crank is or windage tray is in relation to the pan rail and then transfer that into the depth of the pan to mark. Then fill the pan a quart at a time with water, no sense using oil at this point, to find where 4,5,6 quarts are in the pan.

From here you can figure out the new parking on the stick or where the oil sits with *** amount of quarts sits on the stick. If 5 quarts is s on the low mark, I’d call it good to go since it’s a quart more than stock and it sits lower than a quart down vs a stock oil pan with an additional quart inside.

Do you happen to run a external filter and/or cooler?

It’s a bit of a bummer that the pan is installed already. Otherwise I’d say, before installation, figure out how low the crank is or windage tray is in relation to the pan rail and then transfer that into the depth of the pan to mark. Then fill the pan a quart at a time with water, no sense using oil at this point, to find where 4,5,6 quarts are in the pan.

From here you can figure out the new parking on the stick or where the oil sits with *** amount of quarts sits on the stick. If 5 quarts is s on the low mark, I’d call it good to go since it’s a quart more than stock and it sits lower than a quart down vs a stock oil pan with an additional quart inside.

Do you happen to run an external filter and/or cooler?
Yes. Bought as is so I don’t really want to take the pan off but if in the future it comes off…..

‘’basic measurements and volume calculations of the sump only shows it can easily hold 6 with no worries. I’ll try it at 6 first and just see how it goes although I’m confident it can handle a 7th.

it’s a mopar 4” stroke crank so I’m assuming Scat likely made them for Mopar back in the late 90’s early 2000’s

no cooler, just the oil filter on a 90 degree adapter.

thanks again

-
Back