Can someone please school me on 340 air cleaner

-
That is not a bad price, vs dealing with rusted dented originals.
Idk. Pic looks like standard open element mr gasket unit in wrinkle black

CBF5F76F-5BDE-4F7B-BCA3-DE8C7D712FE7.jpeg

Thanks for all the info guys. Imma collect my thoughts on whether to go 71-72 340, or cheap out and go 68-69 bbody unsilenced. But for now, this is what i have and its not terrible just looks too direct connection/magnum era..

81CCCDF0-7A04-4319-8D8A-A42ABD7B35B3.jpeg

View attachment 1715661512 I’ve used the search function and I still don’t get it..

I want this air cleaner on my 318 not to deceive anyone but I like the period look.

Questions:

Is this a 340 air cleaner and was in only avail on 71-72 340?

is there something without a snorkel that looks mighty close to this?

Why does it cost $600 bucks?

Will it fit on my edelbrock avs carb?

Does anyone repop it?

where is best place to get a
Nice one?

Thanks for the history lesson
Like somebody already said, take something like this MOPAR 400 AIR CLEANER 1973-1974 Plymouth Roadrunner/satellite Dodge Charger | eBay , have Cooter knock the snorkel off, make the hole look like the 340 cleaner and have him poke another hole in the right spot. Refinish it with wrinkle finish and put the pie tin of your choice on it. Most of the lids are the same. The real ones come with a diverter inside to help distribute the air flow. I can get you the dimensions and some pics later if you like. It wont be perfect because the real one has a lip around the hole that would be hard to duplicate but not impossible. You could always line the hole with a black door edge moulding. Might not look TOO bad.

Like somebody already said, take something like this MOPAR 400 AIR CLEANER 1973-1974 Plymouth Roadrunner/satellite Dodge Charger | eBay , have Cooter knock the snorkel off, make the hole look like the 340 cleaner and have him poke another hole in the right spot. Refinish it with wrinkle finish and put the pie tin of your choice on it. Most of the lids are the same. The real ones come with a diverter inside to help distribute the air flow. I can get you the dimensions and some pics later if you like. It wont be perfect because the real one has a lip around the hole that would be hard to duplicate but not impossible. You could always line the hole with a black door edge moulding. Might not look TOO bad.

Would the standard 340 "pie tin" fit on that lid?

Would the standard 340 "pie tin" fit on that lid?
Only thing wrong with that housing is that it has a squared off notch in it for clearance of something. the original 340 does not have that.

Here's a pic of the diverters. I'm in the process of restoring this one. I got the lid for this one off of one like I posted from ebay as the original was pretty beat. The Lower part was just like the 340 but only had one inlet. Somebody put another hole in it. Looked like they used a hatchet. Lol. If I can find it I'd be happy to give it to you.
20210102_104013.jpg

Here's a pic of the diverters. I'm in the process of restoring this one. I got the lid for this one off of one like I posted from ebay as the original was pretty beat. The Lower part was just like the 340 but only had one inlet. Somebody put another hole in it. Looked like they used a hatchet. Lol. If I can find it I'd be happy to give it to you. View attachment 1715662270
The 340 air cleaner serves no apparent advantage over a mr gasket special. Just sexy as hell. I compare it red bottom shoes or a coach bag if we were chicks...

You still seem new to mopars. Thats fine. We were all new once. I need a 340 Air cleaner for My dads 70 340 swinger but im not ready to spend that coin that. Im using a 68-69 Air cleaner. Still a very nice, Hi performance piece and it looks period correct. They did come on 340s so it, technically is still original. And You mite only spend 1/4 of the price for one over a 70-71 Air cleaner

You still seem new to mopars. Thats fine. We were all new once. I need a 340 Air cleaner for My dads 70 340 swinger but im not ready to spend that coin that. Im using a 68-69 Air cleaner. Still a very nice, Hi performance piece and it looks period correct. They did come on 340s so it, technically is still original. And You mite only spend 1/4 of the price for one over a 70-71 Air cleaner
First mopar.. im a convert from general motors.. So i know the wrench and the theory. But not the details

First mopar.. im a convert from general motors.. So i know the wrench and the theory. But not the details

It goes like this..... If a Mopar guy has it and wants to sell it they have gold.... If a Mopar guy wants to buy it they expect it for nothing. Yep, that's a generalization. Mileage will vary but that's my take on it and I use to vend Mopar parts....

Atleast you know where to fit in. That's most of the battle. Pony up or head in a different direction. Me personally before I would pay some waded up price tag for an Air cleaner I would see if there is a Day 2 setup that tickles your fancy. Of course that may not be cheap either...

JW

Details are ... is that Mopar parts generally cost 3 to 4 times what the mass expanse of GM parts cost. We were considered the "poor boys" club in the 70's, so it's our turn to be the most valuable! LOL

Details are ... is that Mopar parts generally cost 3 to 4 times what the mass expanse of GM parts cost. We were considered the "poor boys" club in the 70's, so it's our turn to be the most valuable! LOL
Im elitist so i get it. And there are ten ways to speculate how we got here but however it happened, CPD is worth more now than the other two. And i feel that just like anything in life, either be in or be out. And i'm all in so ill work harder and ill pay more to stay in. Thanks to everyone here who has or may someday help me find my way.

I like the one on my ‘69 GTS...of course I did customize it a bit.

2D1A572D-0985-4A32-950C-1BCEC26E0F28.jpeg

The 340 air cleaner serves no apparent advantage over a mr gasket special. Just sexy as hell. I compare it red bottom shoes or a coach bag if we were chicks...
LMAO, how stereotypical, I find the 70 /71 340 air cleaner sexy as hell too. I was lucky to have found one for my 71 duster.

:realcrazy::usflag::thumbsup:

stereotypical
Pertaining to a stereotype; conventional; banal, commonplace and clichéd because of overuse.

My wife says I'm a pervert.
I said so are all the millions of other men on the face of the Earth. Besides; you knew that before we got married; you seemed to like the attention back then...... 43 years ago....
Stereotypical; yes m'am.

Thanks for all the info guys. Imma collect my thoughts on whether to go 71-72 340, or cheap out and go 68-69 bbody unsilenced. But for now, this is what i have and its not terrible just looks too direct connection/magnum era..

View attachment 1715662236
I will trade you the air cleaner off my Duster for your air cleaner, message me if you are interested.
22oucp.jpg

Have my 70 340 air cleaner put away and been running one of these on my 418 stroked 340 for years. I removed the decal... Only has the little "Filter Maintenance" decal now.
Always loved the look and plenty of Air Flow. I do like the look of the stock 70-71 340 Air Cleaner though.

upload_2021-1-3_8-39-43.png

upload_2021-1-3_8-47-23.png

upload_2021-1-3_8-51-16.png

upload_2021-1-3_8-42-11.png

-
Back