can someone settle this?????

-

OiiiiiiO

Reaction score
:dontknow: i have a couple of pals with racecars and both have push pull kill switches on the back of their cars. they claim the kill should be hooked to the neg. side of the battery. i said nothing, but is that right?.

It really makes no difference as either will kill the power. I don't know the NHRA rules but they may say it has to be hooked to the negative.

Some rules say they want you to connect the switch to the negative cuss when you break the connection of the negative side of the battery there's a less likelyhood of a spark, at the switch, than if you were breaking the positive connection. Remember the practice of disconnecting the negative first and reconnecting last.

terry

NHRA mandates that the positive cable must be on the remote shut-off switch and the battery box must be enclosed and vented outside of the body. There are some problems with switching off the positive cable which includes voltage spikes which can fry your electronics.

Here's a good article detailing the problems and solutions: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/pr...ford_mustang_trunk_mounted_battery/index.html

well, i was on the phone with the nhra tech people from division 1 and they said if you`re going to race nhra, the kill switch must be on the + side with no exceptions. so, i said, whatever you say, you`re the boss!

If you wreck, and ground out the pos. side, you will have big problems. The switch should be as close to the battery as possible(battery in trunk), and definately connected to the pos. side. This can create other issues, but from a strictly safety stand point, this is the only way to effectively cut any power.Any sparking will be captured inside the switch. Now, powering up again is a different story.

-
Back