Can these bezels be restored?

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I have several 69 Barracuda tail bezels that are heavily pitted on the lower surface that is covered by the lens. Are these worth fixing?

Attachments

• tail lens 1d.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 214
  • tail lens 2b.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 217
I had several pot metal parts rechromed to driver quality, and they came out fine. Price was only slightly higher than plating steel, but I did some of the labor...grinding the pits clean with a Dremel...so that helped lower the cost.

I had several pot metal parts rechromed to driver quality, and they came out fine. Price was only slightly higher than plating steel, but I did some of the labor...grinding the pits clean with a Dremel...so that helped lower the cost.

Thanks. Did the chroming partially fill the pitting?

I wouldn't be concerned with the pitting on the inside. The outside is what matters most.

I wouldn't be concerned with the pitting on the inside. The outside is what matters most.

Agree. You should only be concerned with the visible portion once installed, which is that thin band around the perimeter. Anything else is like painting the underside of the porch.

As far as the visible area, I have certainly seen worse.

Thanks. Did the chroming partially fill the pitting?

They fill the pits with silver solder before chroming. As others said, don't worry about pitting on the back if you are looking for driver quality. However, if those pits are nearly through the part, I'd clean them out so they don't keep eating metal away.

If you are looking for show quality, it will cost a lot more.

-
Back