Can u drive scoops in the rain??????

-

nydartsport74

Reaction score
gona but on a tunnel ram dont like cowl thats much but will if i have to ...can i drive with it stickin outb the hood in the rain i have heard mixed things on this?

Factory A body scoops came with rubber weather trim around the cut outs on the hood so that the rain water would run around them (and not into the engine bay). The factory cut outs were about 6" in diameter on both the single scoops (70 and 71) and on the dual scoop (73 up). I bought a new set on eBay for mine. I hope this helps.

Depends how big the opening is............

I had a dual snorkle scoop on my Demon and had to drive it in some torrential rains......Got caught in a Florida downpour once coming back from Old Town.....The car ran GREAT..........I guess the vapor was excitin' the motor a bit.......

The scoop ran to the 2 stock 4" openings, so the intake of water was restricted........I imagine on a tunnel ram you could be into a larger volume, and bigger troubles..........

SO, you'll need some more guys to chime in...........

Well I will tell ya this. For awhile, I didn't have the vacuum can and linkage on my old 70 RR, because the "hang on" A/C got in the way, so when you got up to about 35, the air grabber would pop up.

It had rained in San Diego, and I thought nothing of it, until I spent about a week trying to figure out why the 440 would not put out much power. It ran more like a 383 2bbl.. One day, I just happened to leave the filter off to make a little test blast, and there we were

So don't get those paper elements wet

I run a hilborn scoop and used to use a shower cap in the rain - nowadays i use a fitted one i got from a show.

DSC03032.JPG

I've been driving like this since 2005 and never had an issue....

Well I will tell ya this. For awhile, I didn't have the vacuum can and linkage on my old 70 RR, because the "hang on" A/C got in the way, so when you got up to about 35, the air grabber would pop up.

It had rained in San Diego, and I thought nothing of it, until I spent about a week trying to figure out why the 440 would not put out much power. It ran more like a 383 2bbl.. One day, I just happened to leave the filter off to make a little test blast, and there we were

So don't get those paper elements wet

so true...

i was driving to vegas from Phx for MATS last year and it started snowing and raining lol... was fine for awhile untill the element got wet and then it started missing a bit...

Attachments

• 68 Dart (57).JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 411
  • 68 Dart (56).JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 437
Trailered my 6BBL Road Runner in the rain to the mopar nats in columbus in about 91, trying to start the engine to pull it off the trailer the engine hydro locked. Pulled all 8 plugs, cranked the engine and water shot out several plug holes. reinstalled the plugs and it fired right up!:banghead:

I remember guys in the 70s stuffing spongy foam rubber in their scoops when it rained and pulling off to wring it out every once in a while if it was a continual rain

Trailered my 6BBL Road Runner in the rain to the mopar nats in columbus in about 91, trying to start the engine to pull it off the trailer the engine hydro locked. Pulled all 8 plugs, cranked the engine and water shot out several plug holes. reinstalled the plugs and it fired right up!

Your are very fortunate! I recall back in the early 80s I was a service writer for a GM shop. Can't recall which model but we replaced a couple engines on new cars when the hood scoops let rain in while sitting and the rods bent on attempted startup.

Yes. Think of it as cheap water injection.

Yes i was very lucky, but when i hit the starter it didnt turn much before stopping. at that point i knew what the problem was and didnt try a second time!

-
Back