can you clean a fuel tank?

-
thanks for the tip, I checked it out wow only $81.95, you US guys have no idea how lucky you are when it comes to buying parts, the sad news is I checked there standard shipping rate to my postal code in Canada $127.95, so add that to the $81.95 plus duty plus US exchange rate and its a $300.00 tank, hence my $275.00 jobber rate, auto parts are just crazy up here!

Yup I agree. Every time I need to get any sort of part it's extremely painfull to my wallet.Never mind auto pant,that's just stupid pricing.

thanks for the tip, I checked it out wow only $81.95, you US guys have no idea how lucky you are when it comes to buying parts, the sad news is I checked there standard shipping rate to my postal code in Canada $127.95, so add that to the $81.95 plus duty plus US exchange rate and its a $300.00 tank, hence my $275.00 jobber rate, auto parts are just crazy up here!
That's crazy. Are you anywhere near the border? Might be time to make some friends that you can visit whenever they seem to have come up with "extra" parts. ;)

No,unfortunately he is on Vancouver Island,so there really isn't any way around the shipping.Just taking the Ferry to the island in a small car is expensive,well over $100.

Thats correct, although Vancouver Island is huge ( and beautiful I might add ), it cost over $100.00 each way just like he said plus about 200km round trip on the hwy, shipping with in Canada not near as bad though, speaking of which, "needsaresto" you said you might pm me with some possible contact numbers, any luck?, thanks

I had a customer that used a fuel tank sealer and after abut a year of use the sealer started to break down and he spent months chasing fuel clogging issues. Finally he ended up replacing tank, all fuel lines, pump and had to rebuild carb. After seeing his mess I would not even consider a sealer. Although I have never seen anyone else have the same issue I wouldnt even consider going that way. New tank for me even if it is expensive. Oh, his sealing kit was from eastwood.
Best of luck.
Rod

So,just in case this guy I found for you can't help due to shipping costs maybe someone on the west coast could step up?

Anyone?

I have a tank that was sealed on a '62 Dart 7-8 years ago and it has been fine. It was boiled out first. I believe Red-Koate was used. That may be why the prior poster's customer had problems with his sealer: lack of adequate cleaning.

I have a tank that was sealed on a '62 Dart 7-8 years ago and it has been fine. It was boiled out first. I believe Red-Koate was used. That may be why the prior poster's customer had problems with his sealer: lack of adequate cleaning.

This is probably correct. Lack of proper surface prep has been the primarary cause of many a bad paint job blowing up. Contaminants left behind due to improper surface cleaning cause many paint issues.
Tank sealant isn't paint true,but the same procedures would apply.

-
Back