Can you manually put transmission in Park on a 65?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
On this 65 Valiant Slant Six column shift automatic the Park cable is broken, but I think it broke because I pulled on it too hard because it wasn't holding in Park. So I've got the park cable housing off to see what was going on and wanted to check if the Park pawl even works. Should I be able to manually put the pawl in Park? Is there even a way to do it manually? This is the cable operated 904, one cable for N, R, D, 1,2 and one cable for Park.

Wish I knew the cable shift trans. but I don't. Even yet I'd think there should be a way you can move the part the cable moves to engage park and test the parking pawl. That's just my best guess. I'm a 66 and up TF guy.

I believe its just a push cable that drives the pawl into the trans. Should be able to push the center cable by hand if its out of the sheath enough. I bet in a pinch you could adapt a manual choke plunger as a park pawl actuator.

It's very confusing following the 65 Plymouth service manual. There isn't really an adjustment procedure for the Parking cable just the Shifter Cable. Even that's hard to adjust by the procedure. I'm looking at the spring that wraps around the Parking pawl and if it's that hard to move the pawl I can't see how the spring would be strong enough to pull it without unwinding. I hope I can get it back together when I find another cable.

You'll have to remove the park housing from the trany.

PARKING LOCK CABLE (SELECTOR LEVER END)

The parking lock cable operating lever on the selector lever assembly rotates on a cammed pivot similar to the one on a push button box. The position of the parking lock cable operating lever is adjusted, as part of the assembly procedure for the selector lever mechanism, to establish the correct amount of parking lock cable travel.

parking cable

To make this adjustment, proceed as follows:

1. Place the selector lever in "Reverse" position, and loosen the cam jam nut on the pivot.
2. While sighting through the opening in the left plate of the shift mechanism housing, rotate the cammed pivot until the scribed line on the gear selector cable control lever bisects the parking lock lever guide pin.
3. Hold the cammed pivot in this position and tighten the jam nut to 95 inch-pounds.

parking lock cable adjustment

PARKING LOCK CABLE (TRANSMISSION END)
The procedures for parking lock cable removal, installation, and adjustment at the transmission end are the same as for conventional TorqueFlites.

THROTTLE LINKAGES

-
Back