Can you recommend me a mig welder?

-
Dang I have to get some power to my building and some argon to get started practicing.

Been a Good informative thread as a Mig is on my Short Wish list...

Any Canadian members ever bought one of these Power Fist migs from Princess auto?

These are the specs on it..

Feature(s)
Variable wire speed, cold wire trigger and automatic thermal shutdown protection

Application(s)
Weld stainless steel with the gas conversion, which would require gas regulator 8082471 and some 1/4 in. PVC tubing 8234064

Attributes & Specifications
Type MIG
Input 120V, 20 A
Input Voltage 120 V
Input Current 20 A
DC Output 75 A
Duty Cycle 20% @ 75 A
Wire Feed Speed 98 to 750 inches per minute
Welding Capacity Up to 1/8 in.
Heat Settings 25 / 35 / 50 / 65 A
Ground Cable Length 6 ft
Shielding Gas Required

Attachments

• 8154700.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 249
The big "made in china" print on the front is scary...

That's why I wanted to stay away from the harbor freight and Eastwood welders.

Stay away from the Chinese ones if at all possible. Repair parts are non existent so when something happens it is good for a boat anchor.
The Eastwood welders are made by Lincoln. Lincoln and Miller both do a lot of private label packaging for companies but note that you can't just compare them to the Lincoln or Miller name brand as they de-content or use cheaper parts in some to meet the price point the customer is looking for.

Since your asking the Question I'm going to assume your not a seasoned welder...that being said, Miller makes a 140 welder with auto set...which is great for standard welding just set one knob to the Auto setting and the other to the thickness of metal and go. Avoid the cheap welders if your serious about welding over the long term. Spend a little more once and never worry about it again.

The trigger contact mechanism is flaking out most likely.

Open it up and repair, or replace trigger head / cord.

Mine did that after a few years, I repaired it.

We had a harbor freight mig and it lasted about 7 years. Now when you let off the trigger the wire will not stop feeding. I'm not sure what's wrong and we wanted an upgrade.

"If it ain't a Lincoln, it's a stinkin".....but seriously, I've got a 110v model Lincoln, but wish I would've bought a 220v, that's all. Home D, for 5 or 6 bills. Like this:

lincoln-mig-welder.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys. We went with the Hobart 140 from Northern Tool. It was $499 with a welding cart and free shipping.

You will be happy, I bought the same one about a year ago from Nothern tool.
I put a larger spool on it and hooked it up to 75/25 stargon bottle.
It welds really nice.
I just got done last night welding up a 3/16" engine start stand, nice little welder.

A Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart 140 welder is all you will need for automotive work.

I wanted to stick with a USA made product. At one point I was considering the HF 170, but heard there are no parts available and made in China.
So I recently purchased the Hobart Handler. I have my Argon CO2 bottle, and need to start practicing.
I may just buy a HF Flux Core welder to practice with flux wire, the damn thing is only about $80 on sale.

I always prefered miller welders, I just bought an old millermatic 200 for $500.
I think these welders are great, mine is set up for sheet metal with .023 wire. you can get these if you look on craigslist. It is a 220 welder. good luck!

I wanted to stick with a USA made product. At one point I was considering the HF 170, but heard there are no parts available and made in China.
So I recently purchased the Hobart Handler. I have my Argon CO2 bottle, and need to start practicing.
I may just buy a HF Flux Core welder to practice with flux wire, the damn thing is only about $80 on sale.
There is no reason you can't run flux core in your Hobart. Flip the drive roll to the correct size,install the correct size tip, and reverse the polarity to the gun at the terminals right above the drive roll block.

I never thought of doing that.

I have the Eastwood 135. Works great for the price. I did have a failure with the trigger on the gun and they sent me a new gun no questions asked. So bad the gun failed, good they sent a new one.

The working time on it isnt great compared with more expensive welders so you have to pause to let the machine cool down when doing long beads. You get what you paid for

-
Back