Can you run fenderwall headers on the street

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Cuda with a 440 in it
It has a 440 with fender wall headers just wondering can u run these on the street and drive on long trips or should I ????

Does the heat not effect the master cylinder or the header rub on the front tire cause issues
Sorry not a trick question
Can anyone advise on tire size

My '68 Barracuda with an added 440-6 had them, I bought it that way.

LOTS of inner floor heat, made my feet sweat even when the outside temp was below freezing. I had to take my shoes off & not let them rest on the floor.

Any type of road hazard or speed bump they would drag.

With my '70 Duster, with an added 440-4, CPPA under chassis headers, same situations but just a bit better on road hazards & speed bumps.

Now I just avoid headers on the street.

I had a pair of Hooker fenderwell headers in my first B-engine A-body waaay back when. They were a big hit... They hit the tires, They hit the body, They hit the ground, etc. Get a decent pair of underchassis headers and if still too hot for your feet, some foil-backed insulation under the carpet will help.

I'm running hooker fenderwell headers right now but mine are goofy on the driver side more like gasser style, that one hits sometimes but the passenger side tucks up nicely and doesn't hit anything. Im using 15x4.5 wheels and a 24 inch tire it rubs a little only on the drivers side when fully turned.

No. You cannot. The header police will come find you and take all your stuff.

You can make a heat shield for the MC or buy one...……..
Master Cylinder Heat Shield
With the cooler temps of fall/winter a little header heat might be a good thing for some folks.
I believe 25" tall tires are ok on the straights. Hit a small bump on a turn into a driveway and you'll likely rub the tubes. It's been more on the passenger side in my experience. How much rub also depends on your suspension height. I never hit anything that affected the header while it was on the road.
I've seen more than one person bend new fender wells down while backing off of a trailer.

You can use that heat with a stock master cylinder but it'll only use one bolt hole, it's really designed for the newer 2 bolt aluminum master cylinder.

My '68 Barracuda with an added 440-6 had them, I bought it that way.

LOTS of inner floor heat, made my feet sweat even when the outside temp was below freezing. I had to take my shoes off & not let them rest on the floor.

Any type of road hazard or speed bump they would drag.

With my '70 Duster, with an added 440-4, CPPA under chassis headers, same situations but just a bit better on road hazards & speed bumps.

Now I just avoid headers on the street.
These would be great for my car, as the heater is not hooked up. I had fenderwells on my RR, and they hit the tires when turning too far. Also dragged on the ground at times, but that was in the early 70s. I'm sure they are better built today.

I had caps blocking the outlet, and a 2 +ish pipe welded into the inside of the collector, to an easy 90*ish bend, and back thru the mufflers for the street.
Just remove caps at the track race day.
I don't remember any road interference with that car.

Last edited:
If they are open headers noise will be your issue in some states like California.

Alan

If they are open headers noise will be your issue in some states like California.

Alan
Of course u can run them on the street. They look wanky tho , and if u run exhaust on them, it looks even worse !

-
Back