Canadian Delivery Question?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Need some GOOD advice. Selling a car to one of our canadian members and i'm hauling it to the border for him. Border crossing will be one of three places. Detroit, Buffalo, or Lansdown, headed for Ontario. Never done this before so i need to know the ins and outs of this type of transaction. I understand that the requirements at each location is different. Gotta get it right. Title has to be there 3 days before crossing? What other paperwork. I guess one will need a passport for crossing? My brother will be doing the delivery and does have a passport. Tell me what you know. Would it be better for the new owner to come on the U.S. side for exchange? What will they ask at the border? What will they require and what will they want to know? Are they tough to deal with? Are they jerks? Thanks guys in advance? I'll check back in the morning. PM me if ya need to. Thanks
Small Block

Contact the border crossing terminal you wish to cross at.
They will tell you what papers and documents you need and when they have to be there before what time you arrive.
You must provide as many years as possible of your owner ship of the car,and insurance,and show that there is no out standing loans or leans on the car.
You need to do this for both US/canada customs.
A state document showing that the car is clear of any loans or leans can be given from a state police center.
There is a forum for the transfer of owner ship from a USA person to canada,can,t remeber what the forum was when I bought a few cars.
Documents will be 3-4 copies for each country.
A legal bill of sale with cheques and full address of each person,drivers license of both parties.
The needs to be left at the border crossing for 3 days to verify the truth of sale and the people involved,so if there is any issuses,clean them up now,to make the deal quick and painless.
mrmopartech

Hey SmallBlock,you could PM member Riddler(Joe)he,s a border guard(agent).He,ll steer ya in the right direction with info. needed.Good Luck.

I'd get the new owner to take delivery on the American side. Reason is if you take it across, you will have to clear it thru customs and now it becomes a commercial transaction and you will almost certainly need an expensive broker. If the new owner takes it across, it becomes a personal transaction and it will be done quickly and with minimum hassle. I assume the car is over 15 years old. If newer, the new owner will need to pay a fee to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles and also meet the necessary guidelines.

http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx

More info for you guys and thanks for the good input thus far. It does have a clear Missouri title with no lein holders. It's a 74 model with all original sheet metal with the exception of lower quarters and floor pans. I have owned the car for maybe a year. As far as a state document showing no leins, our titles here in Missouri shows that right on the title. No lein holder listed, no lein.
Hey Petty, that's sounds like a good contact. I'll PM Riddler today and ask for his advice. Which border crossing does he work at?
Hey Tech, Does one need insurance even if the car is hauled rather than driven? I can get some on it for the trip and probably will but here it isn't necessary unless you are liscencing it and putting it on the road. Then you need insurance.
I'll PM Riddler now and see if we can form some sort of communication.
Thanks guys. Anyone else?
Small Block

Insurance isn't required unless you lan to drive it. I assume the new owner will be trailering it as well in which case forgo the insurance.

As for the rest of the information, I've responded to your PM's. Maybe I'll write up a detailed post as it seems this question is asked quite often.

Riddler

Quote: Maybe I'll write up a detailed post as it seems this question is asked quite often.

That's an excellent idea Riddler and we can make it a sticky.

-
Back