Cancun Honeymoon,....Need Tips for How to Behave In Foreign Country...

-

jaimus

Old School ASE Gold
Reaction score
Yes It's Finally time for our honeymoon,...Flyin down to Cancun in two weeks,...Long overdue Vaca for both of us...

Trip is all paid for, All inclusive,...got passports, candles, sunglasses, SPF 50, Drinkin shoes, Senor Frog tickets, Jet Ski passes,......

I figure I'll tip the bartender well as soon as we settle in,...Get some info on a trusty local and tip him to keep Pam and I safe,...

1).I'm told to not travel to far off the reservation, unless you got a local with you...
2). Stick with bottle beer and water...
3). Hit the airport for pesos/ dollar exchange...

I've been around the block a few times, so I'm not worried about me,...but Pam is an American woman and It shows,...any other pointers would be helpful...

Tipping will get you everywhere. Have Pam carry a purse with a shoulder strap. I always keep my wallet in my front pockets. Don't get to adventurace ( you did say honeymoon) . Get some money in travelers checks and split your money up between the two of you , just incase. Don't eat salads because the vegitables are washed in the water and of course don't drink the water or order drinks with ice. HEY ! Other then that have a great time.

Someone can confirm this but unless things have changed since I've been, skip exchanging your dollars for pesos. Everyone accepts dollars then gives you change in pesos. Make a copy of your passport to keep on you and keep your actual passport locked in your safe. Be careful whom you trust to guide you, use someone the hotel knows and recommends, it's best not to get involved with a 'friendly' local who approaches you, you might end up having to pay them off to get rid of them! Don't wear jewelry or watches, have Pam keep her purse on her shoulder. Be aware in marketplaces of distractions or diversions that catch you off guard such as someone spilling something on you (pretty rare but it happens.) Keep your wallet in your front pocket, use cash not credit cards when you leave the hotel. Bring a stack of $1 bills, handy for tips. Ask you doctor to prescribe you some dicyclomine in case you get stomach cramps and whatever else he can prescribe such as antibiotics. A small led flashlight is good to have. All this being said, you will have a blast....the weather and the water are beautiful!

Best thing is you and Mrs Jaimus have a great time. If you go to the beach Like everyone says Jewelery and money and all passports put them in the safe at the hotel. Also go on approved tours that the hotel can recommend.

Tip the bartender as already said and the leave a dollar on the pillow for the cleaning lady ( she is in your room everyday, nuff said ? ) Do not "flash" jewelry and stay near the resort. Most of all, enjoy your vacation !!
Ralph.

We are heading to Cancun also in Feb. Don't forget to bring your FABO T-shirt.
Congrats and have fun!

You've had two suggestions about Pam keeping her purse on her shoulder. I'm going to go a little further and say have her take a purse with a long strap so she can wear her purse on her opposite shoulder (purse strap over left shoulder but purse under her right arm type of thing). That will make it even harder for a "grab and run".
Also, be careful and extremely respectful. I had a US employee almost thrown in a Mexican jail for sitting on the base of a flagpole in front of a Federales police station while waiting for a ride. The Federales got all bent out of shape claiming he was "disrespecting" the Mexican flag flying on the pole.
Above all, remember you're not at home. You'll be playing under another country's rules.
Have fun, be safe, and leave whatever you get in Mexico there!

Great stuff guys,...Keep em comin,....Looks like I got some FABO company down there,...Awesome...

The attitude some folks have while on holiday in these places (not referring to you, just generalizing) is that their untouchable and can do what ever they please, this can result in serious consequences, important to be respectful in foreign places.
Don't go places off the resort where other tourists or people are not present, just incase better safe then sorry.
An encounters with local police or military don't be cocky or arrogant, this can get your *** in jail or in certain cases it has cost individuals their life.

The attitude some folks have while on holiday in these places (not referring to you, just generalizing) is that their untouchable and can do what ever they please, this can result in serious consequences, important to be respectful in foreign places.
Don't go places off the resort where other tourists or people are not present, just incase better safe then sorry.
An encounters with local police or military don't be cocky or arrogant, this can get your *** in jail or in certain cases it has cost individuals their life.

I always try not to be an ugly american,...I'm pretty good at blending in,...

Momma has It down to days, hours, minutes and seconds,...

Bank and credit card notification,....check

New shorts and pants,...check

Passport copies,...check

Drunken English to Spanish dictionary,...double check...

Yes, make sure you tip and make sure you tip the person that cleans your room.

Smell your toothbrush before you use it! This is very important. If your toothbrush even has a hint of butt crack smell, it means you offended the hotel staff.

A good friend of mine learned this the hard way.

The way Mexico is nowadays, I wouldn't leave the resort with any local, trusted or not. He aint going to save your behind if bullets start flying around. Or if someone shaddy twists his arm to lead you into an unsafe predicament. I lived in central america for 3 years and worked in the middle east and south america for 5, #1 rule to live by, trust NO ONE! My $.02 cents.
Just becareful and enjoy the sun & fun!!

Eat lemons, they serve them with drinks and sometimes just on the side. I heard it helps your body to fight food sickness . When I went to Mexico, I had no problems with the food but I limited myself on what I ate.

The weather was perfect but don't see me going back...for a honeymoon might be different, I went as a single guy looking for fun. Unlike Vegas anything can and does happen in Mexico, lol

Sad, scary, fun, cheap all were key words for my trip

Are you staying right in Cancun? The Mayan Riviera is real nice, it is worth a day trip down there to Tulum (old mexican ruins, very cool) and Shell-Ha (wrong spelling?). That part of Mexico is quite safe. Don't get sucked into the timeshare people and fake hotel buses when leaving the airport, be sure your driver is actually your driver and not taking you to a time share meeting, remember that nothing is free. When I travel, I scan my passport and save the image to a hotmail or gmail account so that I can always retrieve it, even if my computer gets stolen. I dont know about in the US, but in Canada, the best place to exchange money and get Mexican pesos is the moneymart, better rates and service than banks. It is good to have some pesos if you want to buy a beer when walking out of the airport (small stand on your left, nice to have a cold one on the way to the hotel). As was said above, American dollars are well received down there, and if you want fresh towels and your room done nice leave $5 for the maid. It goes a long way! Some of the best meals I have had there have been away from the resort, in authentic Mexican restaurants, most of them are pretty good.

And most of all, have a great time!

Oh - and Mexican customs gives you a small piece of paper when you arrive, that you need when you depart. Stick it in your passport and don't lose it or it will cost you $ when you leave.

Wonder what kind of MoPars I will see down there???,...

As we were leaving on a ferry, I saw '65 Valiant taxicab parked at the terminal, and sure enough it was there when we returned, so we jumped in, it was best taxi ride...

Take pics of any Mopars if you can!

Where are you staying? A lot of the bigger resorts have no reason to leave them, Most of them will have 5-6 different resturants and one are two nites a week the local crafts and art people come in and set up.

Grab a small bottle of Detol and take with you, for disinfecting your tooth brush and any cuts or scrapes you get. Call your doctor tomorrow and if it's not to late get your Hep1 and Hep2 vaccination (food handlers disease), there's a 2 in 1 shot now. Have fun and your hotel should have a dollar exchange desk with decent rates.

-
Back