Can't get anything done

-

72BlueSwinger

Reaction score
How do ya'll manage to set up your own rear gears? I can't find ANYONE who can press bearings off. Can you believe it? I managed to hack one of the carrier bearings off with a cutoff wheel and a chisel, but I can't get to the other one good enough. There's also no way to cut the pinion bearings off with my cutoff wheel. So I guess I'm just screwed. The local machine shop uses a torch. What do they do when they mess up the shims? Torch off the bearing again? That's stupid. I'm starting to get PO'd. On top of that, I NEED to get my wife's Chevy Tracker in the garage to find out what's making that ticking noise in the engine, but can't because the Dart is in the way and unmoveable for the moment.

How do ya'll manage to set up your own rear gears? I can't find ANYONE who can press bearings off. Can you believe it? I managed to hack one of the carrier bearings off with a cutoff wheel and a chisel, but I can't get to the other one good enough. There's also no way to cut the pinion bearings off with my cutoff wheel. So I guess I'm just screwed. The local machine shop uses a torch. What do they do when they mess up the shims? Torch off the bearing again? That's stupid. I'm starting to get PO'd. On top of that, I NEED to get my wife's Chevy Tracker in the garage to find out what's making that ticking noise in the engine, but can't because the Dart is in the way and unmoveable for the moment.

I can't believe your local machine shop haven't got the tool that looks like two 1/2 moon plates, with a hole in the middle and 2 very strong studs that hold it together, type of clamp. The tool surrounds the bearing tightly then the whole affair is put into a press and bearings pressed off, No heat required. Personally if I saw someone with a torch close to my pinion I'd slap him, but that might just be me. One of these.

Also, when the new bearings are installed I always make sure that the machine shop uses and induction bearing heater, no flame there either.

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Commercial-Products//Gear-237401?trackURL=nextag

Terry

Well my buddy was supposed to meet me, to go to another guy's house to get a bearing separator. He was already gone by the time i went to meet him, even though he was supposed to be there, but anyway... I went on to the other guy's house and borrowed his separator, and it worked great. So, now I just have to take my load of stuff over to work, and press the bearings back on.

Swinger: You have a PM

Hey Seed: Those half moon things which i have are antiques. The real tool for removing the bearings come from Randy's and i have that set also but i'm a tool freak and this set makes it childs play. If you ever use the set i have you'll stand back and with your mouth hung open say........WOW.....I use the set about twice or three times a year but when i do i just stand back and shake my head as other people watching do also. With a 1/2" impact i can have all the bearings off while you're jacking around at the press on the first one. Let me know if you need help.
Small Block

Swinger: You have a PM

Hey Seed: Those half moon things which i have are antiques. The real tool for removing the bearings come from Randy's and i have that set also but i'm a tool freak and this set makes it childs play. If you ever use the set i have you'll stand back and with your mouth hung open say........WOW.....I use the set about twice or three times a year but when i do i just stand back and shake my head as other people watching do also. With a 1/2" impact i can have all the bearings off while you're jacking around at the press on the first one. Let me know if you need help.
Small Block

I'm intrigued Small Block, can you post a picture of this wonder tool.

Terry

-
Back