cant get bolts in intake

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
The bolt holes on my intake dont line up ! The heads have been milled and the intake seems to fit ok but I wont beable to get the bolts in one side. Is it ok to grind the bolt holes lower ? Is there a better (or proper) way to fix the problem. I dont think the intake needs to be milled to fit, it sits fine on the heads.

That be the way to do it. Get the die grinder and aluminum bits together and look carfully.
See if you can get a measurement first if you can.

If you had your heads milled the right way to get the job done is mill your intake. If the bolt holes don't line up I would think the ports are the same. Actually you probably should have milled the intake side of your heads so you don't need a custom intake. I had the same problem on my milled heads. They were off a bunch!! intake hole was half moon on the head holes. I guess it depends how much too.....If the holes just needs shaved a little I would stick with rumble's plan.

I agree with above,see if the holes line up without the intake gaskets,if it does then take your gaskets to the machine shop and have them mill it according to their thickness (gaskets).I would do it this way then you know your ports are lined up correctly.

need to mill the intake or intake side of the heads....if you just had this done, a good machine shop would have milled the intake side the correct amount without question

If the holes dont line up, neither do the ports

Are you using the cork in the front & rear? I found that my intake wouldn't fit if I used those, I removed them and just threw down a line of RTV instead and it fits much nicer now. My heads were milled by the intake was not.

I had the exact same thing with my Air Gap intake. It lined up perfectly without the intake side gaskets in place. I had to have .040 taken off the intake sides and ends. Now everything lines up perfectly. Ports and all.

Take all the gaskets off ck for fit .If it fits and it not the end corks than either oblong holes or drill to next size .I did the drill on my 383 motor worked good .The clamping force pulled everrything into place .

I think mine off to much to just drill the holes out bigger. Is there any way I can measure to see how much needs to be milled of the intake ?

If the heads were milled then the intake should be cut as well. There`s a formula for it but I don`t know it by heart. If I remember correctly ,it`s relatively small ,about 15% of what was cut from the heads.

Adam, below is a quote from Larry Shepards book ' How to Hot Rod Small Block Mopar Engines'.

Quote:
If the deck surface of the head is machined, the intake must be machined as well so the manifold will fit properly. This numerical relationship is the same for all A engine heads. Basically, for every 0.010 in. milled off the head (or block), mill 0.0095 in. off the intake surface.

End Quote

Hope this helps, Mike

The problem is there was a different intake on the motor when I bought it. I bought a new intake and sold the old one. I dont know how much the heads were milled. If I tak the gaskets off and can get all the bolts in would I be safe having the intake cut the thickness of the gaskets ?

Yes your machinist should be able to figure it off your intake gasket-thats how mine was done.I just took the gaskets to my machinist and he measured them and used the formula to mill the intake.I cant repaeat the formula but he seemed to know exactly how much to take by using the gasket method and it fit perfect.

"but I wont beable to get the bolts in one side. "
and don't forget there is a torque sequence...do not put all in on one side..
you MUST start in the middle and go across from side to side
out to the ends

I talked to the guy that built the motor, He doesnt remember how much he m,illed the block and heads but he did say the pistons have stock 340 compression height of 1.84" and stick out +. 020" of the bores. compression exactly 11:1 so with a little math I may be abable to figure out how much he milled everything.

There's a formula to figure out how much to mill the intake based on how much the heads were milled... Gimme a little while and I'll see if I can find it.

I think Hughes Engines had some good info on there site also. I may have had to much beer to do any math tonight though, LOL

Ok, I used a calculator on KB-Silvolites web site. With my pistons having a 1.84" compression height and sitting .020" out of the hole, A common Fel-Pro gasket (.040" thick and 4.180" bore) my heads needed to be milled to 60cc to reach the 11:1 compression. That get me closer, but seeing that I dont know what CC the heads were and what the deck height was to begin with I'm still peeing in the wind.

AdamR said:
Ok, I used a calculator on KB-Silvolites web site. With my pistons having a 1.84" compression height and sitting .020" out of the hole, A common Fel-Pro gasket (.040" thick and 4.180" bore) my heads needed to be milled to 60cc to reach the 11:1 compression. That get me closer, but seeing that I dont know what CC the heads were and what the deck height was to begin with I'm still peeing in the wind.

If you go with the performance haed gaskets can you maybe just mill .050 instead? .060 is a littl on the bunch side... I did .035 on the x heads to get them to about 64-65 cc range. Stk they were 72 before the larger valves and milling..

I 'll go have another beer too sound good!

-
Back