Can't get these damn headers to stop leaking COOLANT!!

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
I'm so pissed off at this point, I am about ready to take these damn tti headers off and install manifolds with studs in the head. I have tried everything I can think of to try and seal these damn things up but it's not happenin. What do you guys recommend to put on the header bolts to keep them from pissing coolant? I have tried liquid teflon "didn't work at all" and black silicone "works better but still sucks". It's a 440 by the way. HELP PLEASE!

I use high temp silicone sealer. I let it cure overnight or if you have to drive the car leave your rad cap loose so you don't build any pressure.

Chuck

Yeah. You need to use the high temp ULTRA RED permatex. But, the bolt holes MUST be clean and dry. Drop the bottom radiator hose off and drain that joker good. then blow out the holes and after that, use some brake cleaner to assure they are CLEAN. Let um dry completely after that. Then coat the bolts GOOD with the red, tighten um down and let it sit without coolant over night. Problem solved.

I used a Mr. Goodwrench brand pipe thread sealant when I had iron heads, drain the coolant well below the bolt holes, run a tap thru em, clean and dry them then piled on the sealant and let set a good 24 hours, never had a problem. Was using stainless header bolts from ARP if that matters any. Be sure and wire wheel the present bolts of any rust and old sealants first. Also what pressure radiator cap are you using? is it working like its supposed to, too much pressure and the coolant is gonna find a way out somewhere and or a bad head gasket allowing a pressure build up.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'm going to try the red high temp sealant and see how that works out. Its so damn frustrating! its not like the bolts are real easy to get to either lol. Thanks again guys.

I'm so pissed off at this point, I am about ready to take these damn tti headers off and install manifolds with studs in the head. I have tried everything I can think of to try and seal these damn things up but it's not happenin. What do you guys recommend to put on the header bolts to keep them from pissing coolant? I have tried liquid teflon "didn't work at all" and black silicone "works better but still sucks". It's a 440 by the way. HELP PLEASE!
Get some good old pipe thread sealent...I built a 440 that had heads with every bolt entering the water jackets...all of the plumbers have been using it on boilers to seal pipe threads for a long time....

IMG00592-20100803-2300.jpg

you don't have to let it dry or anything...heat it up right away with all the pressure you want....coat the threads of the bolts real good...insert and tighten them up....no worries

are the bolts long enough?? and if they are stainless you will need a sealant for stainless..

Look at the ARP catalog and get longer bolts. The bolts are short, the flanges are thicker, and there's not enough thread engagement for the sealer to seal solidly. Also, clean the holes with a tap and brake clean before you try more silicone. If there's any residue from antifreeze the RTV/sealants wont stick and it will leak.

-
Back