Cant keep the car cool HELP

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
This is Starting to piss me off! i have a fairly well built 360 with all the goodies: cam, ported heads, headers etc. and i bought a new aluminum radiatior part# SUM-380459 thinking it would help manage the temp because before with the old stock radiator it would get reach 210 around town and on the freeway and once it was that hot there is nothing i could have done to keep it cool, NOTHING! but now that i have this radiator i am seeing the exact same thing maybe a little cooler on the freeway but if its a long trip it will get to that temp even on a cool day (70 degrees), and around town it will stay hot im talking around 205-210, the hottest its ever gotten i would say is 210-215. I already run water wetter, made sure that i diluted the fluids correctly, have a 180 degree thermostat, stock water pump and a Zirgo electric Fan with no shroud and it has a 3600cfm rating i am just confused to why it would run this hot these are some of the things we can rule out:

Timing is good
Fan is getting its 13v needed to pull in its 3600cfm
Diluted fluids correctly
fan is operating correctly as it should

Anyone in the same boat as me??? I am thinking maybe just change to a Mr.gasket/miloden thermostat and a Be Cool 13lb cap since a Stant thermostat is in it, and maybe flush the radiator and pray there is a air pocket in the radiator (but i doubt it). This car everyday has to face a 25mile commute so i understand 200 on the freeway is gonna be common but i know if i drive any farther it will reach 210 and keep on going

thanks a lot people i hope we can all figure out what the deal is so i can continue to enjoy my Mopar

Got to agree with you that temp. is running to high. Hell I've running a well worked over 383 and can hold 180, with factory rad and pump, on the highway no problem. Got a couple of questions and don't take offense if you think they're stupid questions. You mentioned that you replaced the old rad for a new aluminum rad. How many rows did the old rad have and how many rows does the new one have? Are you running a stock cooling pump or a high volume unit? When you say you're running 210 or so is that with the old temp guage or are you running a newer more accurate unit. Lastly, what's your first name, mine is Terry.

Hey Terry My name is Anthony, well sounds like ur doing a lot better than me with that big block with the fan and shroud combo lol i used to have a one row radiator and now it is a dual row and i do have the factory pump that i got from summit and am thinking about buying a edelbrock one for 200 bucks hoping that it would solve the issue its this one P# EDL-8877 and i have new sport comp gauges so they are definately accurate i also am gonna change the Stant 180 degree thermostat to a Miloden or Mr.Gasket one to see if that does anything along with a Be cool 16lb rad cap.

you don't need a 16 lb cap. 13 at best. the milodon/mr gasket thermostat change is a great one. stants just plain suck. they also can not be use with a high flow water pump. since they open AGAINST the flow of water, the pressure of the hiflow water pump can actually close the stat. how do the plugs look? are you running lean?

fyi, a aluminum radiator will cool no better than a copper/brass style. its all in the design of the rad such as 3 row hiefficiency core(3/8" on center tubes instead of 1/2"). i run a pumped 360 with a stock viscous fan, fan shroud and 72 style radiator that is 3 row, hi eff. core, and dimpled tubes that slow the water down so it has more time to be cooled.

I'd agree with red about the thermstat. Failing that pull the water pump rotating assembly and have a look at the pumping vanes. I'd even go so far as to compare the vanes overhaul diameter and number to an off the shelf mopar parts pump. Could be a pumping problem. Also make sure that the rad hose coming off the bottom of the rad going to the pump suction has the coil wire inside to prevent the hose from collapsing when running down the highway.

Terry

you didnt mention how big your fan is, as in diameter. if its say a 16" fan and its mounted directly to the rad then your only cooling that 16" area.

If i read your post right your running a single electric fan and no shroud?-correct me if Im wrong-but if so Ive had alot of problems trying to make that work on the street.You can make them work but it took both me and my friend a couple of electric fans and a custom shroud for our cars to stay in the comfort zone (both were 425-500 h.p. engines).Fan shrouds made all the difference on my cars,I never realized how much air they direct of the freeway either until I experimented with them.I gave up and just use a clutch fan and a factory shroud for the street.Forgot to ask-is the fan set up as a pusher or puller?.

did anyone everfind out what the issue was here? i know its a post from 2007 but having the same issue with my mild built 360 in the dart

Yes it's an old thread. But try a stock fan with fan clutch and fan shroud. Bet your problem goes away. I went through the same crap, trying all kinds of electric combos and finally ditched them for a factory fan setup. NEVER goes above 190 now. never...

ok awesome thank you thats exsaclty what i was gonna do was put my old direct drive flex fan back on with the stock shroud and use one of the spal electrics as a pusher just incase.

ok awesome thank you thats exsaclty what i was gonna do was put my old direct drive flex fan back on with the stock shroud and use one of the spal electrics as a pusher just incase.
I have a 340 stroked to 416 running original clutch fan and shroud never gets hot

thank you downsr yeah i think im gonna switch back over and dicth the electric fans this weekend. thank you guys for the help

I couldn't make a flex fan work either.
Not with a shroud plus Hi-flow pump, plus hi-flo stat, plus a 26 inch A/C rad.I tried some other fans, but
Problems disappeared with an all steel oem 7-blade fan on a Ford thermostatic clutch.
Now I run a 205stat and a 7pound cap, 50/50 and no waterwetter.
I'm at 430hp or so. Maybe a tad more

switched back to my old setup and cools great just drove from vegas to barstow and back and never went over 190° i have the drire t drive on it now but looking in to a clucth setup for it

There are only a few electric fans worth it. Of course the motorcraft taurus fans are well known. That being said, the clutch fans are usually worry free.

-
Back