cant make up my mind.

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
here is the deal guys,

I found a nice little 65 valiant thru a guy that knows a guy. It is not advertised as for sale anywhere. The guys that has it was hurt really badly 2 yrs ago and has a huge collection of cars that are in different stages of completion. We met and he showed me the collection and was very pleasant to talk to. I can tell he has alot of emotional attachment to his cars.

Here is the deal as it stands. He wants $2500 for the valiant.

The Bad:

no engine/trans

no drive line

no carpet and he is cutting out the four speed hump so i will have to patch the floor

headliner seams have split and is hanging down

has crager ss mags that he is keeping and putting on scrap steelies to get it on trailer.

The good:

body is arrow straight with no rust.

bumpers, grill and tail lights are nearly perfect.

doors, hood and trunk open and close as new.

no rust in engine bay or in trunk channels.

front and rear bench seats are redone in non original upholstery. not original but nice.

door panels and dash are in great shape.

He will throw in a complete front suspension from a 75 dart sport for the big bolt swap for a $100.

He is firm on the price. when i say firm i mean like concrete firm. I feel like this car is a $1500 ride. its a rolling shell basically. its solid but i still have to build the entire car.

what are your thoughts guys? i have the cash to buy the car im just having a hard time letting it go.

I agree with your thoughts. Without seeing any pictures, the way you have described it, I'd say $1500 sounds right. Unfortunately, he has to come to the realization that early A-bodies are not as desirable as later A-bodies, or he can just keep it since nobody will pay that for it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade mine for a later A as I love my car, but I already know that it will never bring big money like the later ones will when sold.

without seeing it , it sounds like way too much to me. there are running/driving complete valiants out there for 2500 bucks. it sounds like you've already made up your mind if you feel its a 1500 dollar car at best. im assuming this is a 2 door

I agree with your thoughts. Without seeing any pictures, the way you have described it, I'd say $1500 sounds right. Unfortunately, he has to come to the realization that early A-bodies are not as desirable as later A-bodies, or he can just keep it since nobody will pay that for it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade mine for a later A as I love my car, but I already know that it will never bring big money like the later ones will when sold.

i dont have any pictures of the car but it has one repaint about 10yrs ago. the paint looks as though it would take a good scrubbing and a buff job and look fairly decent.

i just know its going to take 3k to get the car back on the road. then im into it for $5500 and that will buy a damn nice a-body.

You might buy a complete one for 2500.00 but I bet it will need 5000.00 in body work.

i offered him $2000 which i thought was still too much and he stood his ground at 2500. i really like this car and want it. my lady really likes it to which is half the battle. Its just that voice in my head telling me that im getting taken. I think im going to have to show up at his house with $1900 in 20s and let him see the cash. that usually helps.

You might buy a complete one for 2500.00 but I bet it will need 5000.00 in body work.

x2

If the body is really in great shape, you may be more than $1k in bodywork ahead over the $1500 you're thinking it's worth...

not to mention those floor humps are not available from AMD, so it may be a salvage only item. you might end up rolling your own.....

as far as the engine/trans you probably would rebuild or change those out anyhow... i'm guessing. especially if it came with an engine you did not want.

those are sweeeeeet lookin cars when they are done up, but this one needs a lot of TLC and the guy is also asking a lot

lens4117742_1351486163aa.jpg

I dont plan to paint this car. i am looking to do a budget street cruiser that my girlfriend can drive around town and to work and back. i will be putting a 5.9 in it with a 904 with a shift kit and 2500 stall converter. i have an 8 3/4 with 3:55 gears and sure grip. I want to make it fun and easy to drive and something she can get used to then take it down the track and see how she likes it. In the end i would be tickled pink if the car ran mid 13s on pump gas and was a dependable daily driver. that is the goal. I think I will be buying the car no matter the price. I guess I was just venting.

Cash talks. If you are buying an early A body to make a profit or even recover what you invest in it don't buy it.

not to mention those floor humps are not available from AMD, so it may be a salvage only item. you might end up rolling your own.....

as far as the engine/trans you probably would rebuild or change those out anyhow... i'm guessing. especially if it came with an engine you did not want.

those are sweeeeeet lookin cars when they are done up, but this one needs a lot of TLC and the guy is also asking a lot

lens4117742_1351486163aa.jpg

i have already sourced a floor patch panel from a 64 dart. the guys said i can cut what i need for $25. that isn't really a problem. I think im going to have to get it. i do love these cars.

It always great to have first pick but not for a project and, pardon me, but its only an early Valiant - so i dont think this is a great car or great deal. You'll have $5000+ into it plus the time, I'm thinking for that much cash you should be able to get one that won't need the work plus there's always a few surprises with a project.

Let some time go past, the seller should get more realistic and you can get over the "red mist". I ask myself if anyone would buy it for what the seller is asking and the answer is always "no!".

I would show him 2200 cash. If he takes it then great. You saved three hundred. If he says no then act like you don't care and go home. If you want the car that badly then wait two days and go back and get it. I would at least try to get him to throw in the wheels or not cut the floor.

being rust free is a big + in this little valiant's favor though. when i got my project car - holes in the quarters, holes in the floor, holes in the fenders, holes in the inner fenders.

havin no rust is a major plus. and decent upholstery.

I totally get where you are coming from. I can tell you are excited about finding a rust free car! Just be calm and go over there and offer the $2200. Don't act happy,sad, mad. Just act like you really don't care. Show him 22 $100 bills. If he says no. Do as I suggested. Just go home. Wait a couple days. Then, go back. I really think you can get him to give a little. At the very least talk him out of cutting a nice floor up! After all, isn't the clean body why you want it so badly anyways??? FYI... I bought my '69 Cuda body for three thousand. So, trust me.

Well for one thing, if you do get it and have a line on the floor patch, give him the patch so he doesn't need to cut the floor. If it's as straight and rust free as you say, you're miles ahead of any other project. It may not be worth what you have in the end but that's never the point of this obsession is it? :D

he started a 360 4-speed swap on the car and installed the 4-speed hump in it. he wants to keep the 4 speed hump so he will be cutting it back out. i want to keep it the automatic for my lady.

the car has the 3 spoke steering wheel with the aluminum center portion and the hard brown plastic outter rim that is usually cracked. but the steering wheel is mint! arent those worth a chunk of change on there own?

I say no all the way.

You're thinking about paying $2k+ for a $1,000 car at most. 65 Valiants are not sought after cars and they are just about the most common Valiant out there. Keep searching until you find a better deal. Around here a $2500 65 Valiant would be a slant six driver. The guy is bat **** crazy for thinking the car is worth that much without most the drive train and a tore up floor..

Go down there and offer to buy that 75 dart sport suspension and then be patient and find a better deal.

well i think i will go out there with 1700 cash and let him see the money and if he says no then i will leave and tell him to call me if he changes his mind. i cant shake the idea of paying way to much for a project car that needs as much as it does. you guys have pretty much told me what i already knew but it helps to hear it from other people. the excitement about the car was blinding me. lol.

well i think i will go out there with 1700 cash and let him see the money and if he says no then i will leave and tell him to call me if he changes his mind. i cant shake the idea of paying way to much for a project car that needs as much as it does. you guys have pretty much told me what i already knew but it helps to hear it from other people. the excitement about the car was blinding me. lol.

Don't even offer $1700!

Look at what you can have for his asking price...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3599051057.html

Lowball him,badger him.Work it hard.If not ,might take a relative/friend.Stay away from negotiations.The seller doesn't have leverage from.past talks with you.

-
Back