Can't open the doors!

-

74duster

Reaction score
My brother and I bought a 72 Roadrunner that's been sitting in the same spot since the early or mid 80s. The door mechanisms refuse to work. We were able to get the windows rolled down and can climb in the car. The upper door panels came off ok, so the mechanisms have now been drenched with several different kinds of penetrant. The linkages now move ok (or at least they seem to), but the door is still stuck solid.
We are at a loss as to what the next step should be. We don't want to destroy the doors, so does anybody have any ideas on how to get them working?

My brother and I bought a 72 Roadrunner that's been sitting in the same spot since the early or mid 80s. The door mechanisms refuse to work. We were able to get the windows rolled down and can climb in the car. The upper door panels came off ok, so the mechanisms have now been drenched with several different kinds of penetrant. The linkages now move ok (or at least they seem to), but the door is still stuck solid.
We are at a loss as to what the next step should be. We don't want to destroy the doors, so does anybody have any ideas on how to get them working?

Man that is weird!

If you totally disregard the door handle mechanism can you reach in and pull up on the door pin latch rod? There should be a rod that between the door handle and the door pin latch. I don't see why the interior handle won't work either. :scratch:

I can't get my hand in far enough to actually reach the mechanism. When you pull on the interior handle, the rod moves the mechanism, but the door won't open.
Thinking that more movement is better, I reached in with a pry bar and the mechanism will move a little bit farther with that, but still not open.:(

Sounds likethey are locked. Guess you dont have a key ? Can you disconnect the rod to the back of the key cylinder and move it ?
When all else fails you can go through the rear of the jamb and defeat the latch post with a drill.

The rod from the key lock is disconnected. The inside lock rod is intact, and seems to be working properly. I don't think I would be able to get any kind of a drill in there far enough to do any good.

Try from the outside pushing in on the door top and bottom at the back of the door while someone else pushes the release button. From sitting so long the seals and mechanism are probably just glued in place. I have dealt with this before to.

I will give that a try. Since you have dealt with this before, do you have any other suggestions?
The best we could come up with is to keep soaking it with penetrating fluid, keep working it back and forth, and hope for the best.

If you can get your hand in there at all you might try to make sure the latch is completely latched, then try unlocking it again. I've had problems where the lock rod was moved while the latch was partially unlatched or the latch button was pushed in & it threw things out of whack. It might just be so gummed up that it's between being latched & unlatched. If you just can't fit your hand in there maybe you could use a long punch & a hammer to tap on the mechanism to help jar it loose. I've had good luck with PB Blaster penetrant. Be careful around the glass. Hate to break it now.

I had the same problem with the 67 dart I just got. I got the window down and then sprayed with PB BLASTER

after letting it sit for a while I had my wife pull the inside handle and I worked on the outside, shaking the door, spraying more and it finally opened

I also have a 85 Van that has sat for the past few years. I was able to get into it every year until last year. Now the drivers door will not open. I should try to open it but cannot get the locks to work (Power) oh well I will probably part it out so who cares

Good Luck getting the door open. I would spray daily with PB Blaster and work the handles

what is actually stuck is the catch, once you get it open make sure to use a screwdriver and work it before closing the door

Just a thought....whats the chance of your roadrunner gaining or having a slight body sag from sitting over time. Perhaps a slight sag would be just enough to produce enough pressure to pinch the door mech tightly into place. I've heard of many drag cars that couldn't re-open their doors after a run from body twist movement. A block of wood and jack under the door frames lightly lifted may reduce any mech binding (if any)...
As stated...Just a thought :dontknow:

Just a thought....whats the chance of your roadrunner gaining or having a slight body sag from sitting over time. Perhaps a slight sag would be just enough to produce enough pressure to pinch the door mech tightly into place. I've heard of many drag cars that couldn't re-open their doors after a run from body twist movement. A block of wood and jack under the door frames lightly lifted may reduce any mech binding (if any)...
As stated...Just a thought :dontknow:

That's true.

Sounds like good ideas. I hadn't thought about body sag at all. Now I can't wait to get back over to my brothers place and try again!

If it's just the latch sticking shut get inside the car and pull the door handle like your gonna open the it and give the door a couple good kicks it might be enough to free it up i have done this before with parts cars i couldn't get the doors open on.

If it's just the latch sticking shut get inside the car and pull the door handle like your gonna open the it and give the door a couple good kicks it might be enough to free it up i have done this before with parts cars i couldn't get the doors open on.
Agree - it sounds that since the handle mechanism is working, that the latch itself is either rusted to the latch pin or that the latch itself is just frozen. I think if you get inside, and give it a couple whacks with your feet or shoulder while holding the handle open, it should break loose. I would recommend some generous penetrating oil too, but it sounds like you've already done that step.

I was thinking like 69signetV8..........body sag. Unfortunately 2 door cars are good for it. Make sure you check out the -frame-..what there is of one.

Sounds crazy but make sure the doors are not welded shut the last owners could have been going through a dukes of hazzard phase ..........
Ok no really the sag sounds like it could be the main problem
Good Luck .....

Sounds crazy but make sure the doors are not welded shut the last owners could have been going through a dukes of hazzard phase ..........
Ok no really the sag sounds like it could be the main problem
Good Luck .....

Making their wayyyyyy... anyway they know how....

Beats all you every saw in trouble with the law since the day they were born..

Did you check to see if they were welded shut? lol Previous owner may have fel like he wanted to be more like the Duke boys lol.

If it's body sag you'll need to lift up the door, and push out at the same time. Most of the door weight will be on the striker plate. I've come across that before.

-
Back