Cant put gas in new tank. Help

-

robertcrane91

Reaction score
Bought 1969 dart recently. Previous owner put in new gas tank but never filled it. I just tried to put in gas from a gas can and wound up wearing most of it. I thought maybe the filler hose or tank was blocked so I took a straightened out coat hanger and put it all the way thru into the tank with no obstructions. So I looked online and started looking for a vent hose. There is no vent hose but there is a vent line on the filler pipe that goes down under the car but not hooked up to anything. I looked online and found many 1969 gas tanks that dont use vents. This tank has no vents in it. Why wont the car take in gas? Thanks for your help.

The vent has nothing to do with filling. All Darts up until the carbon canister system was implemented use the same vent "system."

The vent is a simple 1/4" fitting, welded into the top area of the filler pipe up high under the top of the quarter panel. From there a short hose connects to a tube, which goes up about as high as possible, makes a "U" and turns down along the filler tube, through the trunk gasket, and "open" ends inside the rear frame rail. THAT IS the vent

When you are filling a tank, the fill depends on air being expelled up the filler as fuel goes down.

1--Some stations use way too much nozzle pressure, which aggravates the problem

2--If you are in an area that use the booted vapor recovery nozzles, these may be a problem

3--Only other cause I can think of is something wrong down at the filler entrance, IE the tank is made improperly, or a repop filler is too long, and somehow makes a protrusion into the tank which traps air

There's one station in town that I no longer EVER go to, for any of my cars. The two I "like" I leave the nozzle on the middle "latch" so it's not a really fast fill, but at that station, it never spills. Also, that particular station has the lot and the pads around the pumps in such a way that I can usually pull through to the last "leaving" pump, and "dangle" the front of the car downhill a bit. These pumps never spill, and I never top it off. I simply allow the pump to shut off on the "first try."

242yckm.jpg

The vent has nothing to do with filling. All Darts up until the carbon canister system was implemented use the same vent "system."

The vent is a simple 1/4" fitting, welded into the top area of the filler pipe up high under the top of the quarter panel. From there a short hose connects to a tube, which goes up about as high as possible, makes a "U" and turns down along the filler tube, through the trunk gasket, and "open" ends inside the rear frame rail. THAT IS the vent

When you are filling a tank, the fill depends on air being expelled up the filler as fuel goes down.

1--Some stations use way too much nozzle pressure, which aggravates the problem

2--If you are in an area that use the booted vapor recovery nozzles, these may be a problem

3--Only other cause I can think of is something wrong down at the filler entrance, IE the tank is made improperly, or a repop filler is too long, and somehow makes a protrusion into the tank which traps air

There's one station in town that I no longer EVER go to, for any of my cars. The two I "like" I leave the nozzle on the middle "latch" so it's not a really fast fill, but at that station, it never spills. Also, that particular station has the lot and the pads around the pumps in such a way that I can usually pull through to the last "leaving" pump, and "dangle" the front of the car downhill a bit. These pumps never spill, and I never top it off. I simply allow the pump to shut off on the "first try."

242yckm.jpg

Great answer if he was having trouble filling it from the pump. What would cause the problem from a gas can with no nozzle pressure?
~Michael

I never made it to a gas station. This is just putting in gas from a can of gas in my garage. I assume something in the fill tube is wrong. Its crazy but it doesnt seem plugged. Thank you for the total explanation. It helps to know Im not totally crazy. Just mostly

I'm not all that familiar with the specific parts over the years, nor imperfections in 'repops.' Seems to me the most probable situation is that the filler tube, for some reason, extends to far into the tank.

So far as a can, only thing I could suggest is to ring a lot longer nozzle. I could envision a situation where gas is cascading down the filler tube, forming a "wall of gas" at the same time as air is trying to get OUT. If you had a longer nozzle, it might be that you'd then have enough room for this all to break up, so to speak, before being forced that far up.

This may seem silly, but when you were filling did you have the gas can tight up against the tube or did you have just the spout in there?

Reason I'm wondering, and it's a long shot, is maybe the air built up in the filler tube instead of escaping around the spout forcing the gas to slow down and fill the tube..

Just another crazy thought.

I did have the gas can up close. The other odd thing is that I can see the gas most of the way up the filler tube. It looks like the fuel line coming out of the tank going towards the engine (its rubber) may be kinked closed. Maybe thats another reason. Gotta love this hobby

Do you get the gas can filler tube below the flap door in the tank tube?

My 66 Valiant is the same way. I can only get 4 gallons in it from empty out of a gas can then it comes out as if the tank is full, all over my quarter panel. I think that my filler tube is to long and once gas gets up over it it will not let any more in as the tank itself has no vent. Just the vent tube way up top.
I plan on pulling my tube out and checking, I just havent got to it yet.
Paul

-
Back