Cant start when cold after installing Electronic Ignition

-
So its been another crazy month and time has been scares, BUT I fixed it. Well I actually just cheated. I ended up goin to pick n' pull and finding a few mid 70's B200's with electronic ignition and yanking the 5 pin (True 5 Pin) boxes and their 4 pin ballast resistors out of them. One was an original Mopar ignition box, the others a Wells which was an aftermarket at the time if i'm not mistaken. Both the ballast resistors were 5 Ohm and 1.2 Ohm. Wired one of them up and BAM!!!! Fired up in a quarter of a heart beat with even a low charge on the battery from cranking it the last few days. Motor still idles at about 1000 rpm but thats cause the solid throttle rod wont settle all the way back down, no worries, a 2 barrel and a throttle cable to come soon. Still wondering why the 4 pin HiRev7500 boxes would start right? Possible I got two bad boxes? With my luck that sounds about right. Plus I built my own wiring harness for testing the HiRev boxes (longest wiring being about three feet) to double check there wasn't some weirdness happening at the bulkhead or in the ignition switch... still nothing so it must be two bad boxes. What a headache because of some Chinese junk. Anyhow the ol' slant is running good with the original 5 pin mopar box, but it was feeling a big stuffy at the "top end", around 2800 rpm. So I swapped the 1.2 Ohm resistor with a .5 Ohm resistor and winds up to about 3400 rpm relatively easily. With the 1.2 Ohm I was getting about 7 volts at the + of the coil and with the .5 i'm getting about 9 volts so it doesn't seem dangerous to the coil or anything. Thanks for all your help after the last few months guys, this was really driving me mad.

-
Back