Canucks

-

66 Dartman

Reaction score
I just received some parts from the US and had to pay HST and a handling fee on top WTF?. I've been buying parts for over a year and this is a first!!
Anyone else get stung with this ****???:banghead:
The parts were shipped USPS.

FedEx or UPS? They'll get you. Or back-charge the sender. I guess the postal service doesn't do it, or have they started?

I bought some snow boarding gear from the US a couple of years ago, I had to pay an extra $40.00 on a $75.00 item! Other times Ive ordered items from the US and paid nothing extra. Weird?

yeah the last 2 years it seems all my usps stuff gets held up longer and hit with tax and fee's guess they're finally on to us , those darn previously mentioned elsewhere "dicks at the border" just kidding Riddler

I guess I better apoligize to Riddler, as I made the "dicks at the border" comment. But I will say the ones we dealt with were dicks! We left Canada customs with a flat tire too! 4000 km and not a problem, then when we go to leave CC after 3 hours the trailer has a flat??? Hmmmm
I spoke to Canada Customs the other day as the US post office made a mistake on evaluating a used part I bought here. Instead of $25, they put $250 so they hit me with$42!! All I have to do is mail in a receipt for purchase price of part and I will get refunded. Anything under $25 doesnt get dinged. All the rest are 100% random. This is what the lady told me on the phone. Used OR new parts abv $25 are all subject to duties/taxes.
Dad got a pkg from Badsport valued at over $500 I believe and didnt have to pay a nickel.

I guess I better apoligize to Riddler, as I made the "dicks at the border" comment. But I will say the ones we dealt with were dicks! We left Canada customs with a flat tire too! 4000 km and not a problem, then when we go to leave CC after 3 hours the trailer has a flat??? Hmmmm
I spoke to Canada Customs the other day as the US post office made a mistake on evaluating a used part I bought here. Instead of $25, they put $250 so they hit me with$42!! All I have to do is mail in a receipt for purchase price of part and I will get refunded. Anything under $25 doesnt get dinged. All the rest are 100% random. This is what the lady told me on the phone. Used OR new parts abv $25 are all subject to duties/taxes.
Dad got a pkg from Badsport valued at over $500 I believe and didnt have to pay a nickel.
Man that sucks Steve, I got the same bullshit story about " Random" checks WTF? It's not like we don't pay enough tax here already!!!!

Pretty sure he knows about some of his co-workers eh LOL but from all I've heard he seems to be one of the good guy's , pretty sure I dumped on him once too doh .

We don't live that far from the border, so I often drive down and pick stuff up. Just got a posi rearend from a guy in Ohio last weekend. It would have cost me a fortune to ship. When I pulled up to Canada customs, the officer just asked me how much I spent. I streatched the truth and said $250.00. He said OK have a nice day! No tax, no shipping or brokerage fees. Just gas. Well worth the drive!!

We don't live that far from the border, so I often drive down and pick stuff up. Just got a posi rearend from a guy in Ohio last weekend. It would have cost me a fortune to ship. When I pulled up to Canada customs, the officer just asked me how much I spent. I streatched the truth and said $250.00. He said OK have a nice day! No tax, no shipping or brokerage fees. Just gas. Well worth the drive!!

In the 6 years I spent in Windsor before coming out west I too had many of those experiences and very few hassles with the Canadian side ,when doing kitchens in Oakland county we were secondary inspected on the way back into the country about a third of the time which was enough to keep us honest and I've always found full open disclosure to be the only way to deal with them , I can't count the number of times where I've been waved through after truthfully declaring a few hundred dollars worth of stuff on a day trip .

............ parts 3 antique vehicalsare excluded from any kind of taxes.........u just have to prove u have an antique vehical if they inquire......that includes all new parts u buy 4 that antique vehical.......u need to have the seller include a note that states for antique vehical.......kim....

............ parts 3 antique vehicalsare excluded from any kind of taxes.........u just have to prove u have an antique vehical if they inquire......that includes all new parts u buy 4 that antique vehical.......u need to have the seller include a note that states for antique vehical.......kim....
There is also a NAFTA exemption that applies to vehicles and parts manufactured and assembled in the 3 NAFTA countries but requires a declaration form stating this or the % of the assemblies that were made and or assembled in the 3 countries , the hard part is getting the correct form filled out by the seller which is why I used a broker to do this for me ,she walked the seller through the form and even filed the faxed copy of it in advance of the import date so all the paper was on file when the driver hit the border.

Unless things have changed since we had our post office franchise,(10 years free!) most incoming products purchase abroad are subject to HST and the handing fee. Probably about 80% is also subject to duties.

Maybe there making up for lost $$ Dartman,,,,,,,,,,,

:eek:ops:

-
Back