Captainkirk's Duster project

-
Went out and bought another pair of the 21" stands tonight.......I'll bet I'm the only one who can say I got "High" with the Duke recently.....LOL!

Went to a dinner party for some friends tonight who are moving, so that sorta shot down working on The Duke for the evening. But I did go out to "Wayne's World" tonight, popped Born To Run into the CD and cranked it up, cracked a cold one and dreamed a dream as I viewed my handiwork......
This journey is taking a long time. Too long. Nevermind the fact that I started it late in the race. The urge to quick-slap it together so I can hear it run is tempered by the desire to do it better than the L'il Red Minx ever was, or ever could have been, and the desire to produce a finished product 100% the way I want it using the caliber of workmanship I know I (and nobody else) can produce. It's disheartening to admit that I'm truly on a five-year plan; part of me fears I'll fail and the Duke will backslide to the back burner once again, part of me fears I'll lose interest again, and part of me fears interruption yet again by life's little quirks that so often pop up their weasel-shaped heads. But then the other part of me stands back and views the work I've accomplished since I started up again this season, and sees that, hey, this is QUALITY, not quantity, thoroughness and not speed, and a huge wave of satisfaction washes over me. It cannot be any other way. As I read back through the early chapters of this story, I realize I spun a pretty bitchin' tale on paper. Because it smacks of sincerity. And if I'm any less sincere with this project, nothing I do (or write about it) will make any difference, to me or anyone else, because the sincerity will not be there; the tale will not ring true. We motorheads can spot a phony a mile away. So, painful as it is, I have to continue to take the slow road and do it right. After all, this IS The Duke we're talking about. Hope you'll all bear with me as the struggle for forward progress continues......

(Time is a cruel master):clock:

So, I did make it out there tonight. Much scraping of underside grease, tar, undercoating and rust goin' on. I pulled the park brake cable anchor lug from under the pax seat, removed the pax seat attach nuts and fuel line/vent line clamp and bolt, wire wheeled 'em all and treated them with the Rust Reformer. They look sooooooo much better now! After scraping off heavy layers of grease in the tranny/driveshaft "hump" and tunnel, I found....yes....VIRGIN metal, unrusted and shiny, looking like the day it rolled off the line at Hamtramck! It was astonishing to see, after forty-six years! While the rest of the (ungreasy) underside is not in such pristine condition, the rust is only surface rust and the underside appears very sound. After pulling the pax seat and peeling up the (original) carpeting, I was again astonished to see the original paint, in near-mint condition!!!! I'll have to snap some pix of this and post them here in the next couple of days. More progress to follow; as it happens!!!!:clock:

I think you mean 36 years, that is a Duster, right? Finding any metal without rust on it is a blessing though. Great job you`re doing , I admire your tenacity with that undercoating.

I think you mean 36 years, that is a Duster, right? Finding any metal without rust on it is a blessing though. Great job you`re doing , I admire your tenacity with that undercoating.
Yeah....Duh!

Paint fumes must be going to my head............

"Hope you'll all bear with me as the struggle for forward progress continues......"

Damn, I misread this one. I thought you said BEER with me, so I went out and stared at my project, drank a bunch o beers, then re-read your post. I feel so silly now... and a little drunk lol.

Keep it up!

Grant

"Hope you'll all bear with me as the struggle for forward progress continues......"

Damn, I misread this one. I thought you said BEER with me, so I went out and stared at my project, drank a bunch o beers, then re-read your post. I feel so silly now... and a little drunk lol.

Keep it up!

Grant

Amazing what a little liquid courage will do for ya....take tonight, for example!
Wifey crashed early; she had gotten up for work at 4:30 AM. So, at 9:30 I found myself face-to-face with the Duke, now sitting on his High Horse, and naturally, crawled under for a peek with a Killian's in one hand and a trouble light in the other......
Trouble, indeed!
Next thing ya know, I've got an hour of Traffic on the classic rock station, three Killian's in the trash, my bikes outside the garage to avoid the dust and paint overspray, and I'm rippin' on The Duke. First things first; the fuel line and vent line with their corresponding clips are in the way of my progress. John Barleycorn Must Die, says Traffic.......OK, I reason.....so off they come! Next thing ya know they're straddling my roof (on the tarp, of course!) So, fuel lines now out of the way, I tear into the rust and grease on the passenger side with sandpaper, drill/wire wheel, and solvent-soaked rags. When I'm finally satisfied with my progress, Traffic has given way to some smarmy Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks crap so I pop in The Boss and crank it up...Thunder Road; now we're cookin!....and the Fabulous Rust Restorer starts goin' on, finally; 1:00 AM and I've had enough, a two-foot square section of orange rust erradicated and replaced by flat-black peace-of-mind...
I head straight for the shower and watch in amazement as rivers of red pool about my feet and run down the drain (hair makes such an amazing rust-trap!) and chuckle to myself.....Red River....The Duke...get it?....and finally make my way, all squeaky-clean once again, to my portal to the Cyber-World of FABO.
I may not be making a lot of progress, but it's the nasty stuff we never wanna do and it's getting done....one foot at a time!
I promise myself that this is the LAST time I'll ever do this to ANY car!
Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

Last edited:
THOMAS DUNSON (The Duke) in Red River: "But it takes work, and it takes sweat, and it takes time, lots of time. It takes years."

Keep at it Cap'n .

THOMAS DUNSON (The Duke) in Red River: "But it takes work, and it takes sweat, and it takes time, lots of time. It takes years."

Keep at it Cap'n .
LOL! Thanks for that one, Rog! It's been a while since I last watched Red River but it's one of my favorites! But you're right; he said it, he did it. (But I'm not gonna give the keys to my kids!)
On a more serious note, tho....this is no quick summer picnic and I know it. I'm in it for the long haul. You guys know from the earlier parts of the story that I debated whether to start this thing or not, and came to the conclusion that it was do it or sell it. And you also know which path I took. Which is why I'm here, doing this thread. Thanks for the encouragement!

So, for those of you interested, here are a few progress pix of last night's Red River Rendezvous.......

First up is the emergency brake anchor rod
Next are fuel line clamps and bolts getting their first coat.....
Last is the area beneath the pax floorboard, first coat........

Duster1.jpg

Duster3.jpg

Duster5.jpg

Sometimes I talk to myself. Oh, not in a Son-Of Sam-kinda way, but rather, the way you would discuss things if you were someone else as equally intelligent and as passionate about Mopars and such as you are. Most of you know what I mean.
Like tonight's conversation, for example; while lying on the concrete with drill and wire wheel in one hand, sandpaper in the other, and implements of destruction (Sorry, Arlo!) laying about me such as scrapers, putty knives, etc. rust and undercoating falling in my eyes, my hair, and generally making a total mess of my garage workshop; the conversation going something like this:
So, you really enjoy this....ummm, restoration stuff?
No, not really. In fact, this particular task I'm doing I can probably say with confidence, I truly hate!
Then, why are you doing it?
Because I have to.
Says who?
Says nobody, really. It just needs to be done.
Who's gonna know? Fast motor, nice paint job, a splash of chrome...who cares what the underside looks like?
I care.
But you just said you hate this. Why do it if you don't enjoy it?
Because I must.
You make no sense. Who's gonna know?
I will. And so will you.
Silence ensues. We both know I'm right. Even if I covered the rust with shiny black undercoating, still I would know. WE would know. And frankly, that's something I don't think either of us could live down!
And so, it continues......:clock:

HOOOWEEE! That Rust Reformer gives off one hell of a buzz...much like the Evil Medley of days of yore. Ten minutes of spraying and I can fly out of the ol' garage under my own power!!!
At any rate, the war wages, one foot, one yard at a time. Unfortunately for me, every step forward gets me in deeper; much like quicksand. After viewing the rear end, spring and shackles and fuel tank, I realize they, like everything else, must come down & out, the area underneath treated as well as those items themselves. I tried to slap-dab this thing....I really did.... but I just can't do it. When I look at the progress I've made on The Duke, I just can't quit and half-*** it now. Sorry. Looks like you guys are stuck with this thread for a while longer.......:clock:

HOOOWEEE! That Rust Reformer gives off one hell of a buzz...much like the Evil Medley of days of yore. Ten minutes of spraying and I can fly out of the ol' garage under my own power!!!
At any rate, the war wages, one foot, one yard at a time. Unfortunately for me, every step forward gets me in deeper; much like quicksand. After viewing the rear end, spring and shackles and fuel tank, I realize they, like everything else, must come down & out, the area underneath treated as well as those items themselves. I tried to slap-dab this thing....I really did.... but I just can't do it. When I look at the progress I've made on The Duke, I just can't quit and half-*** it now. Sorry. Looks like you guys are stuck with this thread for a while longer.......:clock:
So ya considered "slap-dabbin" it eh Mister?? Ya know what the Duke would say . . .

"Somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't. I won't. The hell I won't."
- John Wayne in McLintock

Well at least yer gettin' buzzed . . . Rog

So ya considered "slap-dabbin" it eh Mister?? Ya know what the Duke would say . . .

"Somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't. I won't. The hell I won't."
- John Wayne in McLintock

Well at least yer gettin' buzzed . . . Rog

Dammit, Rog....you're stealing all the best lines! LOL!
Actually, I considered "slap-dabbing it" for about....15 minutes....when I first started this thing. But it's just not me.

Hey Capt. I talk to myself exactly the same way lol. At least I don't feel alone now.

OK, well, it IS midsummer now, and I'd dreamed I'd be much further along than this by now ("in your dreams", as the expression goes!) as in, engine going back together, K-frame & suspension going back in, etc. But as usual, my sense of what needs to be done is overwhelmed by my sense of what I feel I need to accomplish, and so, as usual, I'm removing parts instead of putting them back on! I mentioned briefly in my last post about the fuel tank and rear axle (diff.) having to come out. It's gonna happen, folks, and at this point I really don't care how much more time and effort it takes. I guess I really am on the five year plan!
Well, I have a goal, at least! My youngest left for the Army early in June for a four-year hitch. I wrote him last week about the progress on the car (he's all excited now) and told him I was shooting for the two of us going to the Mopar Nats when he gets out. So I'd better get busy! Years, like summers, go past way too fast.
On the bright side, while the progress has not moved forward with blinding speed, it's been a steady forward force this summer, more like a marathon than a sprint. And that's what I was hoping for! So for all of you following this thread, my goal is to have the underside completely finished by the onset of cold weather. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
OK, well, it IS midsummer now, and I'd dreamed I'd be much further along than this by now ("in your dreams", as the expression goes!) as in, engine going back together, K-frame & suspension going back in, etc. But as usual, my sense of what needs to be done is overwhelmed by my sense of what I feel I need to accomplish, and so, as usual, I'm removing parts instead of putting them back on! I mentioned briefly in my last post about the fuel tank and rear axle (diff.) having to come out. It's gonna happen, folks, and at this point I really don't care how much more time and effort it takes. I guess I really am on the five year plan!
Well, I have a goal, at least! My youngest left for the Army early in June for a four-year hitch. I wrote him last week about the progress on the car (he's all excited now) and told him I was shooting for the two of us going to the Mopar Nats when he gets out. So I'd better get busy! Years, like summers, go past way too fast.
On the bright side, while the progress has not moved forward with blinding speed, it's been a steady forward force this summer, more like a marathon than a sprint. And that's what I was hoping for! So for all of you following this thread, my goal is to have the underside completely finished by the onset of cold weather. Thanks for reading!:clock:
Well I know you told me to stop, but I can't help myself, I JUST CAN"T. . . plus you need the support

you know you gots a big job to do, but yer doin it right . . .

Henry, the Ringo Kid (John Wayne): Well, there are some things a man just can't run away from.

Keep at it Cap'n . . you da man

Well I know you told me to stop, but I can't help myself, I JUST CAN"T. . . plus you need the support

you know you gots a big job to do, but yer doin it right . . .

Henry, the Ringo Kid (John Wayne): Well, there are some things a man just can't run away from.

Keep at it Cap'n . . you da man

Thanx for the support.....you don't know how hard it is to hitch up my jeans and slide underneath that thing some times! I mean, engine work is one thing; now that's FUN! Tuning carbs, setting timing; I could do that all day!
(I HAVE done it all day, back when I war a younger pup!) But taking a Rust Shower every night? Not my cup o' tea.....still, it needs to be done, by me, and it needs to be done right. So, no, I can't run away from it like Ringo. Even if I ain't workin' on a "Stagecoach".........

Well, I s'pose most of you know that to get the rubber body plugs out (they protrude to the underside of the car from inside, under the carpeting) you have to remove the seats, then peel back the carpeting for access. Which I did. And, proceeded to discover buried treasure!
The first, most obvious gem was The Duke Hisself in all his unmolested glory; virgin, original factory paint, with little or no rust! I mean, how cool is that? I see some of the projects on this forum with gaping holes in the floors; huge patch panels or entire floor assemblies being welded in, and count my lucky stars! Imagine peeling out rubber plugs 36 years old with the original paint still on 'em! Kinda makes me feel like a criminal to take them out. Still, progress must march forward.
So, I peel up the passenger carpet and am amazed to find a Snickers bar wrapper. Not just any wrapper, mind you.....think back; those of you over thirty. Remember when Snickers wrappers were a light brown, instead of the dark brown hue of today? Well, I didn't until I saw this one! That brought out a chuckle...and a question of; when, exactly, did Snickers change their colors? I know it had to be early eighties or before....this car hasn't been on the road since 1981!!!!
The second treasure came last night when I pulled the driver's carpet and found......three 15 cent stamps! Holy Toledo, that goes back a bit!!! Probably for the letters I wrote my baby back in T-Town!
Wonder what I'll find under the back seat?

AAAAstamps1.jpg

AAAAstamps2.jpg

Red Rain is coming down, Red Rain. Red Rain is coming down all over me, in the Red Red Sea. Peter Gabriel, Red Rain

Well, that's what if felt like, anyway. Red Rain. Rust. Chunks and flakes dropping in my hair, my ears, my EYES, for cryin' out loud! No, I mean IN my eyes! That hurts! This is followed up with a healthy snort of Rust Reformer (what do they do, give it counseling or something?" You're going to Rust Reform school, son!") so that when I worm my way out from under the car, I can hardly stand up. Oh, not to mention the hordes of mosquitos that have appeared out of nowhere and are visciously dive-bombing me in Kamikaze waves as I try to spray in between swats. I have the bug zapper plugged in, but they mock me by ignoring it like a priest walking by a hooker. So, what the hell am I taking this abuse for?
The Duke. Eye on the prize. I'm 2/3rds done with the underside of this hulk now. And I told you guys I'd finish it. Call me crazy (I certainly would!) but I must press on!

Hey Cap'n . . . when ya gonna step back and take a wide shot pic of the Duke?? And one of you while yer at it?? Awww come on . . . . lol Rog

Hey Cap'n . . . when ya gonna step back and take a wide shot pic of the Duke?? And one of you while yer at it?? Awww come on . . . . lol Rog

Now, How am I s'posed to take a picture of myself? LOL!!!

Seriously, I'll try to get some distance shots sometime this weeekend, but bear in mind that the car is covered with a tarp, and the hood is upside down on the roof of the car, holding all the stuff I've taken off. Doesn't look like much to anyone who isn't a fan of westerns! LOL:toothy10:

Besides, you haven't posted any pix of yours yet. I'm holding out.

lmao . . . . I'm just curious. Right, I haven't posted pics yet . . . still working on the house. Rog (2/3 done?? I'm impressed!!)

-
Back