Captainkirk's Duster project

-
Gosh I know what you mean . . . I am a perfectionst also. I struggle mentally trying to figure how far I want to take my car. I don't want to be working on it for the next 10 years, cuz I'll be 70! I need to find a happy medium between the updating, my conscience (checkbeck!), get her looking and driving good enuff to enjoy her.
I've heard good things about powder coat, and would think the K frame would have to fend off more road monsters than the rest of the car. But right, the bucks!! Money prolongs the finished project, in my case I would paint becasuse I'm older than you. I'm sure my boy (35) would want it powder coated as would any interested inheritee!! Through almost forty years of wear and tear, if it held up well, I'd paint it. Rog

Not that I mind spending the bucks....it's just that I can think of better uses FOR them! This is not gonna be a daily driver, so I think unless I lasso a screamin' deal on the powder, I'll stick with paint.
You said you don't want to be working on it 10 years; you'll be 70-I'm not too far behind ya! I need to have this thing up & running within 5 or there's no point in finishing it!:-D

Not that I mind spending the bucks....it's just that I can think of better uses FOR them! This is not gonna be a daily driver, so I think unless I lasso a screamin' deal on the powder, I'll stick with paint.
You said you don't want to be working on it 10 years; you'll be 70-I'm not too far behind ya! I need to have this thing up & running within 5 or there's no point in finishing it!:-D
Well if anything, we'll be doing what makes us happy, and make some great friendships along the way . . .

Yeah, as I said earlier in this post; "it's not the destination; it's the journey"...yet, I haven't sat in this car and had it move under it's own power since '86....I'm gettin' antsy!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, as I said earlier in this post; "it's not the destination; it's the journey"...yet, I haven't sat in this car and had it move under it's own power since '86....I'm gettin' antsy!:blob6:
but the prize is the destination . . . and you have to have the opportunity to live it, and appreciate it . . . .

Tonight I found what Ponce de Leon spent his life searching for...the Fountain of Youth! Turn up the tunes, sanding, priming, painting until 1 in the morning, sippin' the brews and pacing the driveway waiting for the paint fumes to dissipate, even when I know I have to work in the morning.......
No wonder young people don't get old-they don't have time!
I got way more accomplished tonight than I had any business doing.....I'll post some pix later!

Last edited:
Again, more progress! The previous pix I posted showed Most Heinous rust all around the inner right wheel well, where all the suspension mounts. As of tonight, all that has been sanded, cleaned and coated with 2 coats of Rust-Oleum rust converter, along with the outer right frame rail and floorboard. By some time next week (when the converter is fully cured and I have the other side done as well) I will be ready to apply rust proofing (the tarry stuff) over the converter. Then it's time to attack the K-frame so I can get that ready to re-mount!:cheers:
The plan has morphed a bit. Careful scrutiny of the underside shows I could spend a boatload of time doing what I did tonight with little progress towards actually getting the car back together. So, the plan is to go ahead and finish all the underside area where the bell housing, trans, driveshaft and shifter linkage will go, and then leave the outer sections for later and move on to my front suspension pieces, K-frame and painting the engine bay. That way, I can always work on the underside and rear suspension parts after the motor and trans are reinstalled (and I can roll the car again!):-D
Anyone have any reasons why I shouldn't approach it from this angle?

While paging through and older issue of Mopar Muscle, (May '07) I saw a pretty cool trick that involved bolting the motor to the K-frame and lowering the body down around it...the wheels are spinning in my mind. With the proper dolly setup, I could, perhaps, raise the front end of the vehicle (rotating it on the rear axle) and slip the engine and trans complete with K-frame right underneath and lower the car back down onto it. Hmmmmm.....this idea has possibilities! What do you guys think? Anybody tried this yet?

If you dig around a bit, someone just did this on this site, within the last few weeks. I have heard its a pretty decent way to go about it. Ill look through the threads Im subscribed too and link it here. Its nice to feel your making progress ayy. I have been nearly full throttle attacking mine lately and have finally gotten some big issues knocked out. Keep pluggin away!

Im about ready to bolt my engine to my trans and onto the K frame
and all will be on a rolling skid I made - you can look at it in my thread
"resto progress" here in members restorations section. It will be a month or so before I actually do the deed cause I need to finish up with the engine/trans but I will update and take pictures when I do.
Bill

Thanks, guys! I'm really thinkin' I'm gonna do this. I have a super heavy-duty dolly with steel wheels that will easily withstand the weight of the engine & trans (I know this from past experience) so adding the K-frame should be no problem!
I just need to add a tail to prop up the tranny tailpiece.

As promised.......progress pix.
Or, "How I Spent My Weekend Nights!"
(And I get off on this......I am one sick individual!):wack:

duster1.jpg

duster2.jpg

duster3.jpg

duster4.jpg

duster5.jpg

BTW- the rusty-looking powder you see in the last pic is dust I've blown all over the garage, not rust coming through the rust converter.

Began work on the left wheel well tonight; it was worse than the right one. Lots of deep pitting and flaking/scaling of rust. I'm cringing inside at how much faith I'm placing in the Rust Converter...if this stuff doesn't work, I'll be in deep water pretty soon, as what this project really needs is a good sandblasting. But that's not gonna happen, so might as well keep going. 2 solid coats of rust converter topped with undercoating oughta keep the rust away for enough years to make it become someone else's problem, right?:-D

Being a perfectionist is one thing......never finishing your project because you're a perfectionist is another altogether!

Remember.......:clock:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just when I get rolling on this project, my bathroom shower valve starts leaking (behind the drywall!) Dug into it tonight; looks like I have to replace the valve so I shut the water off. Which means, in a nutshell, that I'm going to have to hit it hard after work the next couple of evenings to get it fixed ASAP. I'll try to get back on the Duster by Fri. night so I can post more progress this weekend!

Just when I get rolling on this project, my bathroom shower valve starts leaking (behind the drywall!) Dug into it tonight; looks like I have to replace the valve so I shut the water off. Which means, in a nutshell, that I'm going to have to hit it hard after work the next couple of evenings to get it fixed ASAP. I'll try to get back on the Duster by Fri. night so I can post more progress this weekend!
Sorry Cap'n, if I was closer I'd come give you a hand, I'm good with that stuff! By Friday you should smell pretty good without a shower! lol Rog

Sorry Cap'n, if I was closer I'd come give you a hand, I'm good with that stuff! By Friday you should smell pretty good without a shower! lol Rog

Thanks for reminding me, Rog! I was wondering if I forgot to take out the trash......:glasses9:

OK, now I'll say......
Yes, I finally got that shower! (about time, too! PHEEEEW!)
While there is still a gaping hole in the shower wall, the new plumbing and valve is in, all the leaks fixed, and a quick covering with 8 mil clear vinyl plastic allows me to shower again, with the added High Tech feature of leak-checking the plumbing as I shower, before I cover it up with drywall and ceramic! Sort of like the Visible Vee-Eight, if you remember those! I'm happy! Unfortunately, the wife won't be happy until it's all covered up, but at least I can get back to my project car now! And that should make all of YOU happy as well!:toothy10:

OK, now I'll say......
Yes, I finally got that shower! (about time, too! PHEEEEW!)
While there is still a gaping hole in the shower wall, the new plumbing and valve is in, all the leaks fixed, and a quick covering with 8 mil clear vinyl plastic allows me to shower again, with the added High Tech feature of leak-checking the plumbing as I shower, before I cover it up with drywall and ceramic! Sort of like the Visible Vee-Eight, if you remember those! I'm happy! Unfortunately, the wife won't be happy until it's all covered up, but at least I can get back to my project car now! And that should make all of YOU happy as well!:toothy10:
So you do ceramic tile ehhhh? Gonna have to get you out here to work in my bath. lol. Yes, I had one of those Invisible V-8's, spark plugs lit up when it operated!! Wow I forgot about that model . . . that was a LONG time ago . . . thanks for reminding me about the "LONG" part . . . glad you got that shower

Lol I bet . . . now you can get back to more oimportant tasks. . . grindin' and sandin' . . . Rog

Lol I bet . . . now you can get back to more oimportant tasks. . . grindin' and sandin' . . . Rog

........and that's exactly what I did tonight-grinding & sanding (and priming)! Once again, not a LOT of progress in the larger scheme of things, but a few steps closer to where I'd like to be. I realized, much to my chagrin tonight that next week marks half of June over. The chances of getting the engine in and running before winter are slim, considering what I have left to do before I reach that point. So, this is the point where I generally get discouraged.....but I won't! I've made a lot of progress in the last few weeks despite my plumbing nightmare, and every step forward brings me closer to my goal. I will continue to press on.
I covered up the bikes tonight due to all the rust and paint overspray floating about......I'm quite sure I saw The Duke smiling that sly John Wayne smile at the bikes....."My turn tonight, pilgrims" I heard him drawl. Indeed.
I realized two things while work progressed tonight;
1) I can't "slap-dab" this thing back together just to hear it run. Even if it means not finishing it....ever. Part of who I am is to have everything clean, neat, freshly painted, with new or refurbished parts where they are needed. This is a basic instinct I can't bypass or overcome, so I might as well work with it.
2) With the above being stated, I realize I'm not building a concours restoration or museum piece, and I don't have the tools and techniques (and unlimited budget!) that many of those restos require. As with the L'il Red Minx (see part I for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about) I have to stay within my means and do as much of the work as possible myself. It's sorta like buying an air compressor....you need one; you don't want the El Cheapo model that won't serve your needs and can't afford the top of the line so you settle on something in between that you can live with. That's me; that's The Duke's legacy. I can't sandblast the car on a rotisserie and dip the body, nor powder coat the suspension parts. Yankee inginuity, Rust-Oleum and persistance will have to win the day. And so what if it won't fetch top-dollar at a Harrah's auction? I'm never gonna sell it anyway, so who gives a rat's ***? I know that when it's finished, I can cruise it with pride, knowing I did the best I could with what I had and did it myself. And that's worth something to me, folks.
Anyway, for those of you who've followed this thread from the beginning, rest assured that The Duke is no longer sleeping, or quiet, for that matter! As I step into the garage he shouts, "Saddle up-we're burning daylight!" and so, I swing a leg over and we ride...hard, and hell-bent-for-leather...into the setting sun, occasionally stopping to rest the horses, but pressing on towards our destination. And we're closer tonight than we were last night.

Richard Boone; "Who're you?"
John Wayne: "Jacob McCandles"
RB: "I thought you was dead?"
JW: "Not hardly"
John Wayne; "Big Jake"

:clock:

you got the right attitude Cap'n, plug away, don't lose sight of the prize. I envy you as mine is not in the barn as of yet . . . arrives Tuesday night from Iowa. Previous owner said the other night we almost had tragedy . . . he lives on a river and its at flood stage ... I've been doing a "non-rain dance" looking to the west since . . . . . Rog

-
Back